My DD age 8 it is always i forgot ( please do not bash i think i kind of do that to myself everyday as is )

She forgot that i told her to stay by the playground equipment in our yard right after i told her. her sister found her of all places yuck in a old plastic trash can that we don't use right now. I said you don't hide in a trash can ever. I forgot. i told you to stay over here because the winds are bad and the tree limbs could come down. i forgot. I was checking dinner and going in and out with them. i told you to turn your shirt right side out , i forgot . no, you told me earlier it did not bother you. Did you bring your spelling home. no i forgot. you know how to wipe when you go to the bathroom, i forgot. and the thing is she will not look me in the eye she looks everywhere else. or she won't hear me. they did hearing test on her it was fine. when she was 3 or 4 i had to hide scissors because she would cut every mattress in the house then her hair and her sisters. this morning she starts her usual routine of looking like she could go into tears because her shoes strings were hard to pull up to tie. when i told her to pull them up first she says i forgot how because i have not worn them in a while. she wears them in gym class every time she has gym. I have asked for her to be tested they won't and i cannot figure out why. when she was born she cried all the time i would literally walk floor day and night with her. i kept medicine bottles up high to keep kids out of it i mean way up something happened she got it open and drank some when she was little i took her to er she had to drink charcoal then she threw up they did not want that so they forced it down her with a tube it was horrible and her little heart rate was way up and they kept saying to me it is ok i was like no it isn't. she took a pen apart in 2 seconds while her dd was leaving for work and swallowed the battery that went in it for the light. anthor er trip at 4 years old ugh. Everybody knows i watch these kids as close as i can and they ask her every year on her birthday you lived this long? because they know how she is. she finally fixed the shirt this morning but forgot her duck necklace ( reward for wearing it if your duck i called at school for fund raising) she had to run back to the house to grab it and our drive is long i knew the bus was on the road , she made it back with one minute to spare. How can she be that forgetful? is there something i am missing. Is she having other issues but different symptoms then my older daughter. the reason i put the other info in there is in case someone sees something that i am thinking it could be not just the i forgets.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you considered the possibility of a mild form of Autism? Lack of eye contact, punting things that don't belong in the mouth, forgetfulness and even the obsessive behaviors such as cutting things with scissors. *could* be red flags. Look up High Functioning Autism and Asperger's and see what you think.
    Anonymous

• who is it that won't test her? Have you talk to ECI about this? To see at 8 if they have any one to refer you to? Or what about her Doctor? Or the School.. is she doing ok grade wise? I have Adhd and the comprehension and lack of attention is my problem.. I feel sometimes like I can not remember anything.. I have constant notes and still forget and I have yet at 32 to find a good system for myself.. maybe you could set her up with some counseling or go that route with testing?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If you request in writing that your child be evaluated by the school psychologist they by law have to oblige. I agree it could be anything form ADD to Asperger's. You need to set up a meeting with your child's teacher mention your concerns and find out the exact protocol for getting an evaluation in your district. They can't just say 'no.'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i been thinking it could be one or the other my oldest is being tested for it because of her meltdowns. Maybe they are waiting until her sister is done being tested? so not to be confused which one is which. I do want her tested to find out what is going on.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would have my pediatrician all up in this, if the school refuses to test, perhaps your docotor can order it? I don't think this is 100% normal, but I would exhaust everything to find out what is going on.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011