Is God of the bible Barbaric?

Consider these stories: In the Flood story we’re told God wanted to destroy all mankind. In Moses’ day God wanted to destroy all of the Israelites. In Joshua’s day God wanted the Israelites to kill all of the inhabitants of the Promised Land. Saul was told by God to destroy all of the Amalekites. According to Jonah, God was going to destroy the people of Nineveh. God also destroyed and scattered the northern tribes of Israel because he was displeased with them. God allowed the accuser to destroy Job’s health and family life just to win a “bet.” In the New Testament, God will destroy all unbelievers in the lake of fire. He’s a pretty barbaric God, if you ask me.

What do you think?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• He's not if you understand Him with a renewed mind and you understand why those things happened. Also, God's not going to destroy anyone in the lake of fire. Hell was created for Satan and his demons, not for man. God wants us all to be with Him in heaven but it's OUR choice to follow Him or deny Him. God is perfect, love, sinless. Therefore, how can sin be in His presense? What would the point of Jesus dying on the cross be? Thre are 2 ways to look at God. The flawed way is that of judge (or barbarian in your terms) as His main characteriestic. The correct way is a God of Love. However, He is a just God and sins won't go unpunished. As previously mentioned, it takes a renewed mind to understand.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Let's look at the stats shall we and you be the judge

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Nope.... you need to have an understanding of the scriptures... it also depends on which glasses you are wearing! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• God does everything with justice. He did do those things but not on an impulse. During the flood, he saved the family that belived in him and Noah gave full warning = justice. God gave everything perfect to Adam and Eve, yet the actions of one serpent is who they chose to believe instead of recognizing God's provisions for them. In return, God sent His willing son to provide a secure future = justice. You have to tell the whole story please. Job was given justice by rewarding his loyalty = justice. Satan challenged and God believed in Job. Perspective.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No. At least many don't perceive him to be, since there are those of us don't believe these are actual events but instead are narratives that reveal a specific message. He can be understood or interpreted to be, that doesn't make Him so.

Not all of us believe the Bible is the literal word of God and understand that there is human bias as well as symbolism and other literary devices used that are meant to be more important than the literal words on the page. Those who reject God because they can't see past this literalism are just as guilty of being closed-minded and rigid as the most fundamental of believers, as they refuse to accept that there ARE other ways of understanding and that this literalism is something that isn't the original way of understanding the text (literalism only gaining popularity in the last two or three hundred years).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No, The God of Heaven and earth, the creator of everyone and everything is only purely goodness and love. The enemy (Satan) has done a bang-up job of perverting God's Word, and twisting the stories to make it appear that way. Of course he's going to. He's God's sworn enemy, he knows the Bible better than any human could ever hope to. He has also read the end, and he knows he LOSES and WE WIN!!!! He knows he can't stop it, so he tries to take as many down with him as possible. And, one of the best ways is by perverting the Bible. And, sadly, humans, ignorant to the Goodness that God truly is (no, before you bash, I'm NOT calling anyone of you ignorant, it's just a figure of speech), they fall for the enemy's traps, as we all do, at times. I'm just thankful that once I was saved, my eyes were opened to the truth of God's Word.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I did not vote you down BTW

Eh no harm if you did. I seem to get a few on every post so no hard feelings either way. Like I said though since I don't believe in God or Satan neither one can be a barbarian and those "stats" are only going by what is "Confirmed" in the Bible. (Mostly OT if I recall correctly.)I jsut posted it becasue I figured it'll be an interesting conversation point for the "debate"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• "And for the umpteenth time, not all believers believe in hell. "

haha, sure don't :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I am absolutely sure he is not. The bible says at 1 John 4:8 that God is love. We may misinterpret his dealings with humans but he is perfectly just. He is a god of time and purpose. His ways and thoughts are higher than ours. Our sense of justice is skewed. I know in my life I have done things in the past that could merit barberic behavior but he has dealt with me in a loving manner. Even now he lets the sun shine and rain on the wicked if he were barbaric would he do that? Plus he gave his only begotten son to die for our sins. That truly is love.
    hmhewett

Answer by hmhewett at 7:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• he still commits murder, allows evil to run rampant and even uses it to test...--

but, but...i thought he didn't exist?? how can he do all this if he's just a fictitious character???
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011