Have you or anyone you know had an abortion?

What is your story and what was your situation? How are you dealing with it now? I am not here to judge, I am just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• I had one when I was 16. I regret it everyday of my life...at the time ..I was scared & made a quick decision without totally thinking it all through. I don't want to say my boyfriend pushed me but his "push" that it was the right thing to do I feel really affected my choice. If I could go back...I would never have done it.
    Anonymous

• I had one when i was 17. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Looking back 11 years later, I feel very guilty because I feel like it was a very selfish decision. I would never do it again. I felt good about it at the time, but now and for the last 5 years, I have felt very guilty.
    Anonymous

• I had one at 24, over 15 years ago. Bad timing, didn't want to be a single parent, and was terrified of child birth. I don't have any regrets and never felt guilty. I can tell you most of the women in the clinic that day were close to my age or older. I think there was only one girl there who was in her late teens there with her mother. A woman much older than me was there (ha, probably the age I am now) and she called someone to come get her, she had changed her mind. The clinic staff were very nice, they explained everything, and asked everyone a few times if they still wanted to have an abortion. It was a very safe environment.

Very few women talk about having an abortion. It's legal, but no one likes being personally attacked. I remember watching the abortion clinic in Atlanta be bombed, so I don't talk about it.
    Anonymous

• I took a friend to have an abortion. Counting her, there were 8 women I know who have had them. Seriously, I just sat here counting them out. Most in HS or college, one in her 30's, and one was a friends mom. She told me about it one day when the topic came up on TV. She had it when they were not legal.
    That makes me wonder about other women I know.
    Anonymous

• I didn't, but a friend of mine did and never told me because she knew I was pro-life. Instead, she went through it all by herself. I wish I'd known so I could have helped her, whether it would have been to figure out another option or to hold her hand. :(
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had one when I was 16. Is it a decision I would make for me today? No. Is it a decision I regret? Absolutely not. I made the best decision for me at the time.

Anonymous

• I have had a couple. Once when I was 16. My parents basically told me that's what I was going to do. The other a couple of years ago when I was 39. In that case, my birth control failed and i had to terminate due to health reasons.

I don't know why but having had an abortion never bothered me other than going through the physical part of it.
    Anonymous

• I had one in my 30's after already having two children. Had lots of problems with my last pregnancy and should not have had any more children after that; was careful but ended up getting pregnant anyway so I terminated the pregnancy. Hubby and I feel it was the right decision for us.
    Anonymous

• I've had a number of friends that had them... The only one's whos story I know was very simple... She was in a very abusive relationship... He believed that because he smoked week he couldn't have kids, so when she found out she was pregnant he said she was cheating and told her get rid of it or he'd kill them both. Then he beat her til she gave in... She has tried to get away from him since but he always finds her...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No i never did but my friend has shes used and still uses abortion as a birth control method. I Think its a horriable thing. I do not approve of it in any way. But I do not see anything wrong with people who use brith control when they are in a situation thats not okay for a newborn or when they are done building their family and their birth control has failed. I hope no one ever makes you feel bad about having an abortion its not a bad thing if your not ready for a baby if your birth control failed or there was an accident then i'm sorry you had to go through that and i hope that its an issue that does not affect your life in a bad way.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 7:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2008