5 or more years between your 1st and 2nd child?

Im expecting my second born in a few months my son will be 5 when she arrives. Im concerned on how my son will adjust he has been the love of my life and gets all my attention. Also wondering if the kids will play eventually even with the big gap in age? Also feel sometimes as if it wont be possible to love the baby as much as bad as it sounds.. Will jealousy play a big role in y son how long does it take for only children to adjust into there big sibling role?

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 3:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• How he adjusts depends a lot on HIM, but in my family I observed that a larger gap was better than a smaller gap, especially in eliminating jealousy. They may not play so much; by the time the baby is ready for play your son will have his own friends and interests. But she will have her best possible friend, confidant and defender right there.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My son just turned 5 in january and the baby is due in July. He's very excited, but we've talked A LOT about how mommy will still be his mommy, and he won't have to share his "room toys", and how even when I hold the baby I still will love him. He's been my sidekick for the last 5 years, its always him and I. He's very attached to me, but I think the talking helps. I repeat myself several times a day, but it comforts him to know he's not being replaced. I call him my monkey and we've also discussed how no one else ever will be my monkey, that's his special job. I've also allowed him to come to all the ultra sounds and involved him with sibling classes, and feeling the baby kick. I think we've built up enough excitement that he's not too worried about being replaced. Sometimes I still hear the "but what if I want to sleep with you" comments when I say the baby will sleep in mommies room, but its getting better.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2011