Do you think prisoners on death row should be able to donate their body organs upon their death?

rhonda0428

Asked by rhonda0428 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, yes, yes. I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed. Who cares if some part of them is 'still alive' They're helping to save the life/lives of people! Hell, it may seem like a bit of atonement for them, to be able to give back one last thing before they die themselves. I wouldn't care whether the organ I was getting was from someone on death row- an organ isn't their brain, soul, or actions.

Of course they'd go through the same medical testing as anyone else donating organs- no communicable diseases, HIV/AIDS, STDS, and that their organs are fit to give.

I don't care if they receive "special treatment" before they die in order to donate organs- if you can save the life of 2 or 3 people, for an extra hour of theirs isn't it worth it?
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No they cant because the chemical used to induce death renders organs un useful. In order to donate they would have to put the person under alive and then remove their organs and then give them the shot to kill them. I saw a show on it the other day and a mom was fighting against her daughters killer doing it because she just felt like a part of him would still be alive. I think if you are given the DP then you should die the way the state has said you will die, and not have to make special arrangements for you. People can vote down my answer all they want to, but after watching that show and the explanation of how it would happen, the cost, the lawsuits etc I think they should just be put to death.

Answer by gemgem at 4:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• They should but I also think whoever receives the organ has a right to know.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't see why not.... but if they are killed by lethal injection... woulf their body parts be contaminated?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sure, why not? They won't need them, and somebody else's life could be saved that way. I'm curious as to why gemgem said no, to be honest...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If they are healthy, they should be allowed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• well some things come to mind....

- would it alter the way we killed them?

- what about jail sex and the possible viruses they may have

- i would guess there are few people who make it to death row with out drugs in their past

seems there are many reasons they simply wouldnt be allowed to donate even if they wanted to

Anonymous

• sure..... can't they currently? a liver or kidney is not inherently evil.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• ohhh death penalty people. well i would think that the drugs they use for the lethal injections would make those organs useless from drug contamination.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I guess yes, because if it saved my life I would be glad to have the organ. However I think that the recipient should know it was from a death penalty inmate, and I also think they need extra screening b/c they have led a questionable lifestyle, been in jail, etc. They may have done drugs, have STDs, or have other stuff wrong with them.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011