Breast feeding question?

Everyone is telling me to stop. My baby is 1year in a few days. She is attaced nursing all night long. I dont mind.. well i do sometimes but i dont think i need to stop she has done this since she was a nb. everyone tells me its not normal. Anytime she sleeps she is atttached to me. Its fine for me but people make me feel like im a bad or crazy mom for it. She prefers nursing over anything so i nurse her a lot. lease me your opinion. Oh and when do you stop nursing? Oh and YES we have tried passifiers. :) sorry new to bf and not knowing whats wrong and right, i just need some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• keep going. Attend an LLL meeting for some support. And their are plenty of groups here on cafemom to support you too.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well it is recommended to feed till a year old so you need a wonderful job doing it for so long. If you want to extended it go for it. Do what is best for you and your baby. Don't go off of what everyone else wants you to do. I wish I went longer. I breast feed for 7 months but I caved into the pressure to stop because everyone around me wanted me to. You're doing a great job and you're not a bad mother.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You are not crazy or a bad Mom. I do think nursing all night is a habit at this point. Have you started her on any baby foods/solid foods yet. If you haven't, I would encourage you to do so. When to stop breast feeding is up to you.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• keep it up as long as she and you want to. there is nothing wrong with it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It seems like it's a little odd to be bf ALL NIGHT LONG. Usually babies/toddlers start weaning off of night feedings by that time.
    Anonymous

• – collapse
    you do need to stop. that is disgusting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• There is no reason to stop as long as you and baby are totally comfortable. The WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least 2 years old, and then afterward as long as is mutually desirable. Baby continues to get good nutrition from your breast milk, enjoys bonding, and can use breastfeeding as a comfort measure and stress reducer. You can also continue to give her solid foods and other things to drink, but there's nothing that says you can't breastfeed her until she's ready to stop. You're doing great!
    Teenandtoddlers

Answer by Teenandtoddlers at 4:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• As the mom above me said, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until 2, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least one year and then for however long after that time that mother and baby want. You're providing her excellent nutrition and giving her unparalleled support for her immune system. Remember that you are her parent, and be confident in your decisions.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It is not disgusting. It's beautiful, and it's no one's business but your own!
    poisonivy2917

Answer by poisonivy2917 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Keep it up! I'm still nursing my 18mos old before nap and through out the night. She doesnt always nurse at night, but sometimes she nurses up to 3 times. It's so great for bonding and wonderful for baby's comfort. Pretty soon your little one will be zooming around and too busy for cuddles, enjoy it while you can! :)
    IamLilysMom

Answer by IamLilysMom at 5:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011