Sister relationship...

Me and my sister were split up when we were younger and my parents divorced. I lived with my mom and she went to live with my dads parents. We seen eachotyer on holidays when I went to my grandparents for like weeks at a time. Well when my grandparents passed, she went to live with my aunt and uncle and we never seen eachother. Now we are both married and live on our own.

I had a baby and she has seen him a few times. Then my cousin (the one she lived with) had a baby and she just quit asking about my son and she sees the other baby all the time. She lives maybe 30 minutes away from me. It really hurts my feelings bc I would like for my son to know her and her baby which is due in august.

She always says we need to get together more often but it never happens. Am I wrong to think that its not right that she treats our cousin more like a sister than me? She only lived with her for about 7 years.

Also my cousin was in her wedding and not me!

How could I tell her that I think we should have a better reltionship without being rude or makin her mad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Well, she's closer with your cousin than she is with you. You two didn't grow up together so its not unreasonable that someone else is closer to her. If you want a closer relationship then make the effort.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't think your wrong for wanting a strong relationship with your sister, and wanting your son to know her. I have always wanted a sister.Maybe you could just talk to her and tell her how you feel.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I can understand you being sad. But relationships take time. She has had more years with the cousin, so of course they are going to be closer. Let her know that you desire to be closer to her. All you can do is work on the relationship slowly and hopefully it will grow.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 5:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• she has a closer bond to your cousin because they have lived with each other and know each other more you just need to calkl her and tell her everything tell her how you feel im pretty sure she thinks of your cuz like a sister thats why they are close it happens tell her its not your fault and you want to be apart of her life.
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• she probably thinks as you two as different roles. she thinks of the cousin as a sister and you as her cousin.

even though you may want to be closer, maybe she's not on the same page. i would definetly tell her what your thinking and be prepared to be hurt.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Even though you did get to see each other when your grandparents were living, it's not the same as an around-the-clock sibling. Her cousin and she lived 7 years together and they bonded. For what ever reason she has decided to keep her distance. She may associate you with a time she wasn't very happy. She seems to have been "abandoned" by her parents and just wants to move on. I think all you can do is have an open door and open heart and let her know you love her and want a relationship. I think in time you can build a relationship, just be patient.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't think you should tell her you're jealous of their relationship cause it might cause something between you and the cousin i mean i agree with the other moms she lived with the cousin for 7 years of course theres gonna be a relationship. you just make the extra efforts to see her its obvious she didn't ask you to be in the wedding because she's not close to you.
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Of course she is going to be closer to your cousin - she lived with her, and maybe saw her cousin a lot when she lived with the grandparents. Just keep trying and see if your own relationship grows.
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 8:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes, just talk to her and tell her what u are thinking.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 8:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2011