4 year old getting in trouble at preschool, AGAIN... HELP!!??!!

My 4 year old's teacher called me today for the 2nd time since he started school last year to tell me that he will not listen to what she tells him to do. He told her "He didn't have to listen to her bc he was the boss". I know kids will be kids but she told me that there's no use in him coming to school if he's going to sit in time out for 3 hours. This is not with the school systems, this school is through a church and we pay for him to go Monday Wed & Friday from 8:20-11:20. What ways can I make him listen when he is not at home? His grandparents also play a part because they don't make him listen to anything they tell him, so I'm assuming he's thinking.. hmm, if I can get away with this at Toots&Papas, I can do it at school. They WILL NOT ABIDE BY OUR RULES, AND THIS IS MY STEPSON.. THE GRANDPARENTS ARE HIS DADDYS PARENTS, & even though he is only 4, he knows right from wrong & he is VERY intelligent. I don't want to completely take them out of his life just because they don't do what we ask & they only live 2 houses down so its hard to keep them away, but then again.. it pisses me off that they don't understand that this is going to cause KEGGIN a lot of problems when he really starts school. They just keep saying, "Hes only 4 years old or kids are going to be kids" . UGHHH HELPPPP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ManthaCole9406

Asked by ManthaCole9406 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ! I am in SHOCK that this teacher would say these things to you! It is NOT your fault your child wont listen, it seems like they do not have an effective environment or methods. I am preschool teacher....and I have kids who are a million times worse than this... but we find new ways to redirect them. In my opinion, I would get your kid out of this school, so he can go to an effective learning environment.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thanks for the feed back, from the moment I met her there was something about her that I didn't like. It was like, she was nice, but it was a forced nice bc she didn't wanna say, I DONT WANT YOU ENROLLING HERE. Most of the kids that go here have parents that are older than myself and that make a lot of money. I'm in nursing school and I'm only 20 so I think I'm doing pretty good for myself. However, I feel like she looks down on me in some sort of way, she always has smart comments or a snotty look on her face about what Keggin has done or has not done. Theres a whole lot of other things shes done but... I've always heard it was a very good school but I can't tell that he's learned much. I work with him at home, but as a teacher.. I think he should be learning more than one letter and two colors a week.. thats just me, and I may be wrong but it seems like other DAY CARES have children that are more advanced at younger ages.
    ManthaCole9406

Comment by ManthaCole9406 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• With all of that family discord, it's understandable why a child would act out. They need discipline and consistency to lead a healthy, happy life. To be safe, I would have him screened for any behavior disorders too in case that is the cause. I don't necessarily think 4-year-olds need preschool if they have fairly regular playmates.
    poisonivy2917

Answer by poisonivy2917 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I know what ur going through~ my 5 year old got a referral and damn near suspended b/c he ( supposedly) told a kid he was going to kill them
    sparkle0940

Answer by sparkle0940 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Keggin doesn't have regular playmates.. however, he does know how to act around other kids. I think his grandparents have a lot to do with this and it's driving me bonkers & I'm suprised that Keggin hasn't told someone that because he goes hunting with his daddy & doesn't realize that you can't tell people your going to kill them like you do with a deer. lol.
    ManthaCole9406

Comment by ManthaCole9406 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011