What would u do in this situation????

Ok. so my brought his nephew to live over here with us. here's the story.

my brother in law had to go back to mexico for a while to fix some things over there. while there he got together with another woman, and had a child with her. when he came back, he told his current wife about it, and nothing happen. but 3 years later he found out that that other woman wasn't taking care of him, and so he brought him over here, even though his wife didn't like the idea, and all this time she has mistreated him and his own half brothers and sisters the same, they never took him with them to places, or fed him correctly he had to fend for himself, do his own laundry. my brother in law finally found out about it and didn't defend him, and so my dh and brother's brought him over here, to take care of him.
in this situation, what do u think and what would u do in this situation, also his already 17 and doesn't turn 18 till october.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, he's almost an adult now.  I would let him live with me until he turned 18.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• but what do u think about how he got treated his whole life, do u think she was right for doing that or wrong?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• She was definitely in the wrong. It wasn't the kid's fault. She shouldn't have taken her anger out on him by mistreating him. She should have taken it out on the husband, at the very least!
    jalvarez626

Answer by jalvarez626 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree, definitely wrong.  The kid was forced on her, yes, but she didn't have to stay.  She didn't have to treat him like crap.  My first thought was that she needed some serious support during those first years while he was there and didn't get it.  It's not the kids fault, it's her husbands.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Obviously she was wrong and so was your BIL. YOU know this... why do you need to be told this??? Kudos to you for stepping up where your husband's family failed. Why not concentrate on getting the boy help?? Therapy maybe?/
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• o he's ok. acts like a normal kid like nothing ever happened. once u talk to him in something that his interested in, he talks, but around anyone that he doesn't know, he's shy. but other than that, he ok.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011