Does anyone have any home remdies for the flu? My son is four years old and he has the flu thaey gave him tmaflu and he can not take something in it he is allgric to it any ides they told me to let it run its course but he is misreable

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• check this website http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/flu.html  see if you can get a child to do them, hugs!

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• thank you am willing to try anything a this point
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I have heard that Elderberry Extract works better than tamaflu. Also a vit D supplement would be a good add. Both you could find at a health food/supplement store
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• About all you can do is treat the symptoms. Children's Advil, saline nose spray, vicks vapor rub on his back and chest is soothing. They have a saline spray that is called just for little noses, it is great! Orange juice has vitamin C or any juice that contains C. Lots of liquids always helps. I am sorry he is sick. I hope he feels better soon.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 7:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• definitely a humidifier to help with your little ones breathing.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 8:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• thanks all
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• beef broth, chicken broth, tea(if he will drink it), any liquids just no dairy products
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2011