What is a spiritual atheist?

How can one be spiritual, if they do don't believe in anything supernatural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    A contradiction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• It is someone who does not believe it "God", but do believe that there is something very important beyond what can be seen, evidenced by the awesomeness of nature, the collective unconscious, love, humanity, etc. They believe in a higher power, but don't call it a singular "God".
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sorry, but since I'm to tired to really type out a full answer, I'm just going to copy paste from my blog, so this is going to be related to Atheistic Pagans, who are mostly Spiritual.

Many people seem to think that you MUST believe in God or Gods in order to belong to a religion or to be spiritual. Most Pagans DO believe in some form of God, however there are many Atheistic Pagans. Many people hear the term Atheist and think "belief in Nothing" when in fact Atheism simply means "No belief in GOD(s)." As a matter of fact, Atheism does not mean lack of spiritual beliefs at all, as there are many spiritual beliefs, traditions and practices which do not require any belief in God. While Atheistic Pagans can have any number of beliefs on the Spiritual, I have found that most fall in to one of two groups. First there is the "Everything has Energy" group which mostly believe in "energy" over "spirit."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• An Atheist is simply someone that does not believe in Gods or deities. Atheist literally means "Without God." As for the case of supernatural such as ghosts, angels, demons, heaven, hell, fairies, leprechauns, whathaveyou etc. An atheist can believe whatever they want, now chances are their ideas of each will vary from the Christian definition but it does so between Christians as well. Really the only thing that makes an Atheist, Atheist is the singular belief that there are no gods. All other beliefs are up for debate.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• And Second there is the group which believes that the spirit world, other levels of reality and so on are in fact reality, but that there simply is no Spirit being or Higher Power outside of ourselves..."

Read the rest Here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Well, I know of at least one person who considers themselves a spiritual atheist, so she can answer that more specifically for you if she chooses.

I will say that I consider myself spiritual, but don't believe in supernatural beings of any kind, so it's quite possible. Many Buddhists and Taoists have non-theistic views of God. My personal beliefs are based primarily in Scientific or Naturalistic Pantheism, Buddhism and Taoism, but I enjoy learning about many religions and philosophies. Spirituality is about a personal path. I have awe and reverence for the Universe and forces of Nature very similar to how some theists feel about God. I also feel a deep connection to all living things and think we are all part of 'God' or the Universe. I imagine any non-theist who describes themselves as 'spiritual' is meaning something very similar, although they will have their own unique perspective on what the word means to them.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• First mistake....people make the assumption that to be spiritual one must believe in a higher being...a "god". When in reality spirituality is this:

" Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality. an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.”[2Spiritual practices, including meditation, prayer and contemplation, are intended to develop an individual's inner life; such practices often lead to an experience of connectedness with a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self; with other individuals or the human community; with nature or the cosmos; or with the divine realm.

.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Once you understand that being spiritual does not imply belief in a god, you will understand that one can feel a connectdness to the world around them as they see it and feel it. I feel an energy in the wind and the trees. i feel a connectdness to the stars and the moon...it's always been there for me. I don't however attribute any of those things to a supreme being. I feel as though the "divine" is within all of us. and when we realize that we are ALL part of the ONE Universe...we will finally have true peace in our lives. We are all connected...what we do to ourselves, we do to others
    sahmamax2

• So you will also see that anons answer above as "contradiction" is both ignorant and completely wrong. I hope I helped answer your question and educated anon above:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thanks, I definitely feel like I understand it better now.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2011