Why do I get along with my ex husband so well now that we're divorced?

He just came over to pick up our 9 yr old son for the weekend. He also took my 6 yr old who is the son of my current husband. (the kids love both daddies) We drove to pick up the kids from school then came home and played football with them in the back yard. Before that we watched tv and chatted.

I love and worship my current husband, this isn't about him. It's just amusing I guess at how well my ex and I can get along and why we couldn't have done this 8 years ago.

I'm guessing part of the reason is that I no longer have to count on him to be the "man" which he was never good at. He was also too jealous... Now I'm remembering why it didn't work!

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 6:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• The pressure is off. My x and I got along a lot better once we divorced too

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• lol -- Isn't it funny hoe those "oh,yea"!! memories start flooding back when you really start thinking about it?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Playing with fire!

you are getting along with him now cause you don't live with him anymore. I get alont with lots of people but does that mean I want to live with them NO!
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 6:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• prob because your not with him 24/7, you no longer have to live up to his expectations and as pp said, the pressure is off
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• @ amparoortega No!! Not playing with fire. I can't explain how much I love and respect my husband. Please don't say that, I am not that type of wife.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I am the same way with my ex. We get along fine, but we don't live together anymore. Also, not being married to them makes a big difference. Even now though, if he is around too long, we have issues. I guess it is that way with most exes though!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Because you do not have any commitment to him any more. You do not have deal with his BS anymore that is why you get along with him.

Answer by louise2 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I also think part of it has to do with time and being older. I get along much better with my Ex now.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I am the same way my ex and I will joke and tell everyone we where horrible husband and wife but you could not ask for a better ex. Some people just are not meant to live together let alone be married.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Just curious if he has remarried. I am thinking this "honeymoon" you have going with him will not last once he has a wife of his own. And if he has more children, and if she objects to him playing second daddy to your other son...I have seen a lot of this on cafemom where when the guy remarries the perfect co parenting situation goes by the wayside.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 8:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2011