Swimming...

I just red an arcitle that 83% of african american children can't swim, compared to 48% of white children, I wonder why that is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know about the statistic but from what I've seen it seems as though the race actually has denser muscles. In other words, they don't seem to float very well. Then, I think that they sometimes have trouble with the coordination of the movement. But hopefully this statistic will change. I forget what it's called but I know here we have something during the summer where they try to get A.A. kids taught how to swim because everyone, especially here, should know how to swim.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• How is this related to hobbies and crafts??? bwahahahaha
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• So....for some, anon is the new 'white sheet' you hide under?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Having taught swim lessons locally, and some of the training I've gone through it's more a demographic thing. More African American kids drown in the 8-12 year old range because they have not had swim lessons. They have not had swim lessons because in MANY parts of the country it's still considered a "Rich White Folk" thing. It has little to do with body mass or anything like that.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• They didn't have access to pools or public beaches in the past, so they have no history of it, parents teaching children.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• That's really sad. =[
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't know. I have heard that black people cannot swim as well as white people.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2011