What would you do?

My 13 yr old son is a pretty much a space cadet, but has never really lost anything except for his coat in kindergarten. So, what happened today was not a usual occurrence.

I am a quilter and they are working on quilt patterns in math class. He asked to bring 2 of my wall hangings in for examples. I let him take one house quilt and one that I was trying to sell. He told me yesterday that he left them either at Grandma's or in his locker. Today he cannot find them at all. He looked in our house, garage, grandma's car and house, lost and found at school. They seem to have vanished. They can be replicated only in their patterns. The fabric is gone.

I am so heartbroken at the moment to the point of numbness. The monetary value isn't as important as they were 2 things that I worked hard on and loved.

I don't even know how to punish him. I wish I could ground him, but he doesn't go anywhere. I need some suggestions as to what do, how you would punish him.

Thanks!

balagan_imma

Asked by balagan_imma at 7:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am so sorry for your loss.
    I would have him remake them

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thank you.

He's going to comb the school after baseball practice on Sunday. And if they still aren't found, he can start sewing on the 27th. His bar mitzvah is next week, so this just adds to the stress.

At least DD came up and gave me a hug about it.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I suppose it would depend on how horrible he already feels about the situation. You said this isn't his usual pattern of behavior, he probably feels almost as bad as you do! In your place, I'd have him assist in any organizational tasks associated with the sewing area.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011