What would you do?

My 13 yr old son is a pretty much a space cadet, but has never really lost anything except for his coat in kindergarten. So, what happened today was not a usual occurrence.

I am a quilter and they are working on quilt patterns in math class. He asked to bring 2 of my wall hangings in for examples. I let him take one house quilt and one that I was trying to sell. He told me yesterday that he left them either at Grandma's or in his locker. Today he cannot find them at all. He looked in our house, garage, grandma's car and house, lost and found at school. They seem to have vanished. They can be replicated only in their patterns. The fabric is gone.

I am so heartbroken at the moment to the point of numbness. The monetary value isn't as important as they were 2 things that I worked hard on and loved.

I don't even know how to punish him. I wish I could ground him, but he doesn't go anywhere. I need some suggestions as to what do, how you would punish him.

Thanks!

balagan_imma

Asked by balagan_imma at 7:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that the punishment should be that he cannot take your special things to school anymore. He has shown that he doesn't have what it takes to care for them while in his possession.
    He didn't lose them on purpose, so there is no nasty intent to punish.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• He could have left them in school and someone could have just taken them home?! Did he ask his teacher if he/she saw it in class? Call the teacher yourself and ask about it! other than that, Im sure it was an honest mistake, and the only thing you could do is take something away....he was a tad irresponsible but IDK that I would really ground him over your feelings being hurt, you said yourself this wasnt a usual thing.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with ImaginationMama. Do not trust him with things.

Answer by louise2 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• He searched the school and looked in lost and found. I think I'll have him email the teachers and the secretaries and have him put out an all school plea.

I know that there was no intent. The funny thing was that I warned him to really take care of them. I know he is upset. I am more upset.

I may just have him make the replacements. It would be more of a punishment if he didn't like to sew.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• are their cameras at the school,because maybe you can catch the person that took it?
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2011