Would you buy this car? or something similar?

Fast Fiber Plastics and hemp make for a strong, light, fuel-efficient body. Motive Industries
Marijuana's fibrous cousin hemp has a long history with auto makers. in 1941 Henry Ford unveiled a car body made primarily out of organic fibers, hemp included. seventy years later, the world's first production-ready biocomposite electric car-with hemp as the "bio"-will finally hit the streets. The Kestrel, a three-door hatchback, is made of a "hemp composite as strong as the fiberglass in boats, yet incredibly lightweight," says Nathan Armstrong, the president of Motive industries, Kestrel's manufacturer.

Whereas a comparably sized Ford Fusion weighs 3,720 pounds, the Kestrel will be just 2,500 pounds with the battery. this "might be the sweet spot for electric vehicles," Armstrong says, because the car's low tonnage means a fuel-efficiency increase of 25 to 30 percent.

To make this resilient, lightweight compound, hemp stalks are combed and rolled into a mat that is infused with a polymer resin. the hemp makes the biocomposite's flexibility similar to the carbon fiber used in racecars.

Hemp grows fast and it's cheap, which should keep the Kestrel's production price around $25,000. A prototype is nearly complete, Armstrong says, and Motive plans to have thousands of its hemp-mobiles on the road by 2012.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2011-02/introducing-first-road-ready-hemp-mobile

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• proabably not
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 7:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• That price range isnt too bad. thats my problem with ALL these new eco friendly cars. I just cant afford one! Also I would probably be the wussy that waited a few years till they got all the bugs worked out ;) Let others be guinea pigs! LOL
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i would buy any car that was good on gas
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• This won't hold my family or pull our RV... So no, it doesn't fit into our lifestyle..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Maybe in the 2nd year after all the bugs are ironed out in the 1st year.  Icon Cheesygrin

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Something like this is just ASKING to end up in an accident!  It's nothing more than an enclosed motorcycle!! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I saw one of those sardine cars in Dallas 2 summers ago, Lori... NO THANKS..... I don't see how a family of 4 could go on a family vacation in this car.... Just not practical.... Of course the Progressives want everyone to use High Speed Rail for their Vacay's from now on, right? Again, NO THANKS.....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

•  This won't hold my family or pull our RV... So no, it doesn't fit into our lifestyle..

Fair enough, hopefully it won't be too long before there are entire lines of cars from economy to luxury to truck/SUV made out of this. I was more referring to a car with a body made of hemp fibers than the size of it.

Friday

Comment by Friday (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Maybe , yes. The accident- proneness will be rated by the insurance companies but I imagine it will be used more in urban areas than for long-distance driving . Not all small cars are more accident-prone than larger ones according to my insurance company as i looked into this when shopping around for a replacement car last fall. That small car in the pic is, I believe , made by BMW
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Forgot to add that high-speed rail is great in Europe , much better than flying, very comfortable, good food and very fast. . Way to go.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011