Have you shared some of your past with your teens so that they don't make those mistakes?

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 5:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• We are to teach our children moral behavior, based on some standard. In my family, the standard was the Bible. I did share some of my failings with my children, but I did it only when I believed it was necessary for their training. I think it is an area where one must be extremely careful. We don't want our children looking at our failures, thinking that we turned out o.k., and thus encouraging them that they can do the same things and not be harmed by the doing of them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes, absolutely. Kids are more likely to respect you and trust you if you are honest with them.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yep I most tell them everything. Not that it helps. I think the fact teens are looking for their own identity is what leads to what we know as rebellion. It would be nice to infuse our life experiences in them so they didnt have to go through them, but life doesnt work that way.

Answer by gemgem at 5:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would advise anyone not to share your sorted past with your teens. It wouldn't help them.It will only heart you. Because they will take that info and Turn it around and slap you in the face with it. Kids don't learn form your mistakes , they only learn for their own.

Answer by louise2 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My sister did and her kids used it to throw it back at her. Really, they used it as a weapon. Answer a direct question..I wouldn't lie to them...but I sure wouldn't put it out there otherwise.
    Anonymous

• I have been pretty honest with my son, but I can't say it helped. He is 18 and has never thrown it back in my face. I think he appreciated that I expressed my regret for stuff I did when young. He is going to have the same regrets! :(
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Absolutely...to a certain point. I don't tell her stuff that would fry me if it ever became public, but I encourage her to make wise choices that I sometimes failed to make. I told her I don't expect her to be perfect, but I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did. She needs to make different ones, LOL!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yes my kids know some of the mistakes I've made when I was a teenager, I'm honest with them because I don't want them to make the same ones and my kids will talk to us about anything.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes I have and I have alot of cousins who got into alot of diffrent kind of trouble and share their stories alot.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2008