Is it ok tuse vicks when pregnant?

I am 15 weeks pregnant and I have a cold my throat and head are killing me and my chest hurts and my nose is so stuffed up I almost choke because I am trying to swollow and can't breath out my nose can I use vicks vapor rub while 15 weeks pregnant? I forgot to call and ask the doctor today and of course they aren't open on the weekends.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• yes it is I used vicks with both of my kids and doctor told me it was okay.
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 7:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes, it's fine...ask your doc if you're unsure about it of course. Also, I know you probably can't stand hot showers and such, and have been told not to take them anyway for the baby, but maybe you could get one of those vaporizers, or just put some water on to boil, then when it's steaming, waft the steam towards your face so you can maybe dislodge some of that mucous. Also, try the pressure points in your face for relieving mucous. I used to have a dien cham book that had a few really good face pressure points for relieving colds and flu. You don't have to push them hard, just massage them a bit. Then of course herbal teas, lots of water, and, if you can stomach a bit of spicy food, try a soup with some cayenne or red pepper.
    Good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 8:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Oh, I forgot to mention. There's this body scrub that my family uses (really we use it whenever we feel like having a "yummy" shower). I actually have a cold right now, and when I used it today, it made me feel better. it's by bath and body works, and it's called "need a margarita". It smells lemony, and it's really refreshing. Maybe it would make you feel better.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 8:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes, it can't hurt the baby.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 8:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Vicks is fine. You can also take Robitussin, which thins your mucous out, while you are pregnant.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• vicks is fine in fact my best friend used it during delivery for both of her daughters..you can also take regular robitussin or childrens benadryl and remember to blow your nose dont suck it in or sniffle it causes your sinuses to open back up and redistribute all your mucus back where it was to begin with..if you have a bad cough you can also suck on some peppermint candy it helps
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011