What should I do?

I have two boys, 9 and 11...I was called to school because the oldest hit another kid (his age). When I got there I found out that he hit the kid because he was picking with his little brother, apparently this had been going on for a few days but the little one never told. The older just happen to be in the area an saw it happening..

My problem is I say he should be put on punishment, my hubby says no because he was protecting his brother.

Neither of the boys have ever been in any trouble..

sam223

Asked by sam223 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I say no punishment.  I want my children to protect each other, period.  That kid was being a bully and your older son took care of it.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would explain not to fight and no punishment.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 8:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Have a serious talk about hitting, but no punishment. And talk to the younger one about letting you know of any problems he is having at school. I hope the problem is solved with the bully.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I think I agree with the no punishment, just didnt want him to think its ok to hit.
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I kind of like the fact that he protected his brother.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I agree with the other ladies. I would have a sit down and explain that the school has an obligation to protect each child, which is why they don't allow hitting, but praise him for protecting his brother.

Because I have a sick sense of humor, I'd probably tell him just to be sure he didn't get caught next time, LOL, but in all honesty, they should bring it to the attention of the school admin's. If the school doesn't do anything to protect your youngest, all bets are off.

I say good for your eldest. Sounds like you've instilled a strong sense of family values. Great Job!!!
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 10:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would talk to him about the situation.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't punish him for defending his brother......when my oldest dd was@ 8, an older boy (11) had punched her in the face!!!!!! My husband saw it, & of course took off out of the house...within the seconds it took for my husband to get over there, across the street at a playground, my 2 older sons ( 9 & 8 at the time) had this older boy against the wall. They beat his A#%!!!!! None of my kids are troublemakers or bullies or anything. They saw an older boy punch their sister & reacted!!!! The thing is that a few days later, everyone was back to playing together.....that boy NEVER disrespected my daughter again. I think that defending your sibs, comes naturally. Just like parents willing to do ANYTHING to defend their child. Good for him, now maybe boys will think twice before picking on his little brother. Good Luck!!
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 6:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You ladies are the best....Thanks so much for the advise...I have to say this kid is growing into a wonderful young man...He actually came to me last night to tell me that "he was sorry for hitting that boy and he didnt want me to be mad at him". I let him knw that I was not mad that I was very pleased that he actually stood up for his little brother, But that I was more proud of him for coming to me on his own to talk...We did have the conversation about school rules and hitting however....I think he is going to be ok in this world....
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2011