Do you let you kids drink soda?

If you do, when did you let them start?/When do you plan on letting them ?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 8:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If at all possible, don't give them soda. The more soda or pop a person drinks, the more they want. The sugar in it stimulates the body to want more and more. So much to do with Diabetes and obese children. Do you notice that when children are thirsty and you offer them water, and then....all of a sudden...they aren't thirsty!??
    So many other ways to satisfy the soda crave.
    LoveOfLifeMom

Answer by LoveOfLifeMom at 10:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• no soda for this kids in this house
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 1:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't know when it started.  I have a 5 year old, 3 year old, and 16 month old and yes they are allowed to drink soda.  When we have pizza night it's an added bonus.  Water is the biggest thing they drink so if they want a soda, I see nothing wrong with it.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Probably about 6 months ago I started letting my 4 year old have Sprite on special occasions.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Sometimes. Usually only when we are out. My D is 3 and she gets it less than my son who is 6. Then again she doesn't really like soda...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• No, I don't. My kids (ages 9 and 7) have tasted it before at birthday parties and such, but aside from that they never drink it. I don't buy it at all. It's just not really a habit I ever wanted to start. Sometimes people think I'm crazy that they don't drink soda and they ask if my kids beg and plead for it, and the honest answer is No, they never do. We've never had it as part of our family's kitchen stock, so they really don't know any different, if that makes sense. Not having soda is totally normal to them.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Soda is not rally good for them. But i do let mine drink it once in awhile not everyday sometimes once a month . Her dr. said only juices , and milk
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 8:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• once in a blue moon, and only sprite or Orange. No caffeine. Maybe a few times a year. They usually get chocolate milk if we go out to a restaurant. They had some on New Years eve. Kids are 214, 10, 8 . I would like to believe they never had any before 8 But I know their uncles and Dad to well.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I never let my kids have soda until my son was in first grade. He tried it and strongly disliked it. We don't buy it for them and they don't ask for it. They go to a lot of parties and drink water or milk or lemonade. At age 9, if my son wanted to drink a soda on special occasions now that would be just fine with me now but honestly I am very happy that he is not asking for those types of sugary drinks yet.

What I really don't understand is how mothers can offer soda to their toddlers. I consider that very irresponsible parenting considering what we know about the sugar, weight gain, tooth decay and especially the caffeine levels. Furthermore, now there is research showing cancer causing agents in the caramel coloring that Pepsi and Coca Cola have been using. Great thing to be putting in your one, two and three year olds *eyeroll*. Water, juice and milk are not enough options for them? I just don't understand that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I let them start when they started drinking out of a cup. I hardly ever buy soda but I do let them have soda when we go out to mcdonalds or something. At real restaurants they have to drink milk or water.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011