How should I introduce my dogs and cats to my newborn?

They are all friendly animals, but I don't want to scare her. Should I maybe wait a while until they're used to a crying baby?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 8:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Pets

• When I was pregnant, my collie used to lay across my belly. My mother said she could hear her heartbeat. When I brought her home my dog bonded with her instantly. I never really had to introduce them. Maggie would lay under her crib. They're still best buddies.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Before we brought our kids home, my hubby would take one of the nightgowns they used in the hospital home and let the dogs smell it so that they would get used to the kids scent......Congrats
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• let animals sniff the baby blankets,clothing to help them get use to scent.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 11:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Place baby items around the house such as clothes, diapers, baby powder, bottles. Things that smell like a baby. Then, make them keep a respectful distance from these items. They associate the scent with this distance and when the baby gets there, they will not ignore or avoid the baby completely but will stay back a certain distance. You need t establish this because without this respectful distance, dogs may try to bring the baby to you when it cries which can end badly or they may try to play with them and hurt them. With this conditioning, if the baby cries they will tend to go and get you and try to take you to the baby. They also are more likely to just sniff the baby or let it pet them instead of rough play or mouthing. It worked great for bringing my 19 month old step son around my parents Rottweilers who weren't used to small children.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Well I guess the ladies above said all I would have so why repeat? lol Razzle Dazzle1 you have the cutest answers. i like the one you said not to pet the fish that you killed them doing that!! lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• let them get used to the scent
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 10:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thanks :)
    shanapiv

Comment by shanapiv (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2011