A little confused about certain solid introductions

My 7 mo. old has been through all the stage1 and 2 fruits and veggies......now what????

Can I start her on the meat mixes, wheat, mac and cheese, yogurt etc.? The store is so confusing with there "stage" baby food because it doesn't seem to match what most books say AND they mix everything!! What about finger food like puff cereal?

Totally confused.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cereal puffs are for experienced eaters. So if you have a baby who is eating very well off of a spoon and can sit alone (usually closer to 7-9 months)then you can try them. You can mix any foods you have already tried. The difference between stage one and 2 as far as I can figure is jar size... Stage 3 has some chunks. It's kind of taking your babies lead while considering recommendations.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My pediatrican says no meat until 9 months.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• If you're following the intro rule where you start her on one new food every 3-4 days, then you can do mixes of anything that has things she's already tried, as well as one new thing.

As for the different stages, stage 2 is just like stage 1 but there's more of it and maybe a tiny bit thicker (and mixes). Stage 3 is thicker and may have some chunks.

Finger foods should be saved until she's self-feeding. If she can sit and pick up food and put it in her mouth, all on her own, you can give her pretty much whatever she wants (and it's a lot less hassle). My daughter was on table foods at 7.5 months, just little pieces of whatever the rest of us were eating. Especially at first, there might be more playing than eating, but there's no guesswork--no worrying about whether she's ready or how much to feed her, since she does it all herself.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You can do finger foods whenever. Mine had finger foods almost from the start - I didn't do much jarred food, I just fed them the fruits/veggies that we were eating that night, never pureed, just diced or mashed with the back of my fork. As soon as they've had single ingredients, then you can feed them something that's mixed together. Mine never had meat until close to a year, and even then they didn't really like it much at first.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• You can start allowing her to self feed small, soft foods if you want, for a change. Personally, I wouldn't do meats this early, but that's me. Anything you do give, just keep with the same thing, for a few days, of course, just in case of allergies. At 7 mos, I'd take it easy still, don't go crazy. But, you can feed her whatever baby food you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't do yogurt either, until at least like, 9 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• i did baby food at 7 months and i made my own so she had all kinds of stuff! i started puffs at 7months too! she was on all table food at 8 months! she eats everything! meat, yogurt, pasta, veggies, fruit!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• There's an awesome website called wholesome baby food. It has so much information on when and what babies should be eating after introducing solids.
    rpetullo

Answer by rpetullo at 12:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2011