My daughter's preschool teacher is a criminal!

We had pulled her out for other reasons back in October but had I known this sooner I would have made sure to remove her sooner!!!! I was shopping today and ran into an old friend who told me the teacher had been arrested a year ago for going into JCPenny with bags at closing time and filling them up, apparently she had appeared drunk or on drugs but no charges were made in that accord!!!! I didn't doubt this friend's credibility but when I got home I checked online (in Iowa we have www.iowacourtsonline.ia.us where you can do case searches) and it is legit she even plead guilty!!!! What really irks me is that this woman is the assistant director and lead teacher at our daughter's old CHRISTIAN preschool!!! And she is the one who leads the kids weekly in chapel!!!! How is someone NOT fired or demoted after that?!?!?!

NessGuinness

Asked by NessGuinness at 8:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Gather proof and report her!! Wtf? What kind of teacher is she?!
    mannyperry

Answer by mannyperry at 8:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't know.  People make mistakes.  To think that teachers don't make mistakes just because they are teachers is crazy.  We don't actually know the situation.  And pleading guilty is sometimes just easier.  Being diplomatic, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Report her for sure!
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 8:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Maybe God forgave her so the school decided to do it too
    Anonymous

• if she wasn't convicted then just let her move on with her life. it happens. it would come up in a backround check so i'm sure they know
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I realize that they make mistakes but if I was NOT guilty of stealing I sure as hell wouldn't plead guilty lol The part that irritates me is she is the assistant director at the preschool and the chapel leader telling all of the kids stealing is bad and to think that I have sent my property and my child there is not the most reassuring idea in the world. Plus it had to have been premeditated because she reportedly had several bags with her that she was filling. The entire center was corrupt and did many things against the law, never harming the children but it was bad. There was mouse poop in the poptart box at least on one occasion, they would allow the school age kids to be helping hands in the baby room, which in Iowa is against the law to have someone under I believe its 18 hold/lift a child/baby. They hired young high school girls to work there and would leave them alone with the kids also a no no in Iowa
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yes it sucks, and since she does work at a Christian school, she isn't really fit for the part. But isn't christianity about forgiveness and not judging?
    anyway, i think what she did is very wrong. definitely not appropriate behavior for a teacher. But I don't think she should lose her job for it. Should your mistakes outside work affect your employment? I don't think it's fair. If she tests positive for any illegal drugs, she should be removed from teaching immediately. Imagine if you got fired from work for a traffic violation. Anyway, under normal circumstances, if she's not doing drugs or anything, i think it wouldn't be fair for her to lose her job. But since it's a christian school, maybe she should be removed for a period of time while she gets herself together. Perhaps guidance counseling should be advised by her pastor.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• She was convicted and they haven't done a background check since the incident because she has worked there for a long time, first as just a teacher, then as the director about 3 years ago and then as the assistant director *her choice when she had her son*
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Oh okay, so the whole place was just a mess.  With all that going on, no, I wouldn't allow my children to go there.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• How long ago was the offense?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2011