Is your state considering canceling 2012 Primaries?

A handful of states, including Massachusetts, are considering abolishing theirpresidential primaries — mainly because there's not enough money in the budget:

Massachusetts Secretary of State Bill Galvin says there’s not enough money to run a primary in March 2012, according to Gov. Deval Patrick’s budget for the next fiscal year.

“The number that was submitted by the governor despite the fact that he suggested, or his administration suggested, that it would be a 2 percent cut, in fact is a far more drastic cut. My budget will go down anyways for the coming fiscal year in the elections area because we have one fewer election in the upcoming fiscal year than we did in the last. But nevertheless, it’s a problem to run this March 6, 2012 event based upon the numbers they’ve submitted,” Galvin told WBZ.

The result of a state abolishing its presidential primary would likely be a state-party funded caucus system — but those state parties could also choose a different nomination method

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I doubt TX would do that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• We have caucuses in Minnesota anyway. I have never voted in a primary! I have always wanted to. Participating in the caucus system is extremely time consuming and I have never had the opportunity.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• That's sad but when that time is here, there could be many states with this problem...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I haven't heard anything about it, but I smell a huge opportunity for fraud and corruption. We have enough issues with open voting. I can only imagine the ways people will figure to screw with a party caucus.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• That's really pretty scary...that Massachusetts is so broke it cannot afford to hold primaries?!?! I guess Romney better think twice about his bid for President!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2011