How to help him on his test?

My 8 yr old son is getting an F in math. All because of his testing. Hes gets A's, B's, and C's on his work, but gets d's and f's on his tests. The school thought he may need an IEP but they evaluated him and said no. I have no idea on how to help him with this. He doesnt know why he cant pass his test. Im dumbfounded as to what to do to help him pull his grade up. Any suggestions?

itsokmomshere

Asked by itsokmomshere at 5:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• get some of his old tests and go over them with him. do mock tests at home. find out if he's got test anxiety or if there is an issue with the test environment. most of all, enlist his teacher to help you.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Talk to the teacher. Ask if there is anything more you can do to help him study. I have a seven year old that can spell all her spelling words at home and at school but when she is in the spelling test environment she failed every time. She had a speech IEP but even though it wasn't in the realm in her IEP the teacher let an aid say the words on a one on one environment and she started to pass. I feel for you I know how hard it is sometimes to get your child what they need. I normally just keep moving through the situation until I get the answer I want.
    Anonymous

• Ask the teacher to give you the same test and administer the test to him and allot him the same amount of time the teacher did. Do not assist him just have him work the test on his own. Grade the test and see if there is a difference in the score. If he scores higher you may suggest a different setting for him during test. I do not understand why they do not do this for children...they even do this in colleges.
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 12:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I contacted the teacher a cpl of days after parent teacher conferences about an award system her and i could use and she still hasnt gotten back to me. So what im going to do is .... Buy a 3rd grade math workbook and do one page a night plus the math games on his school website for 20 mintues. I didnt mention before but he has ADHD. He loves his video games so i told him he can only have 1 hour of the game but only after he completes this work every night. At least until he brings his grade up. I know 1 hour sounds like a lot but my son retreats his his room and plays his game when he is feeling stressed or overwhelmed. I like the idea of doing mock tests, and a go over all of the problems he gets wrong on his tests and he gets them right without my help. I SHALL OVERCOME!!!! lol thanks
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 9:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My first grader has test anxiety - tests are a new thing for her, but she's always been anxious about not doing well at things. She just hates it. I've been supportive and non-judgmental, but some kids just have terrible jitters and freeze up. She needs "de-sensitizing", so to speak - so I buy workbooks and have my girl do a page every other day for practice. It does help to make things a little more "rote" . If as she gets older she is still having the difficulty, I'll look into enrolling her at a Sylvan or Kumon center - they do help. Hiring a tutor to give your kid practice tests and "get fast" is also a good idea.
    Ruby111

Answer by Ruby111 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2008