How do you handle your kid's anger toward you?

Kids will not always like our judgment calls and they are going to get angry, whether they are 1 year old or 19 years old. How do you and your spouse deal with your child when they express anger toward you?

Wandybrine

Asked by Wandybrine at 8:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• We usually ignored it and it passed.

Answer by older at 8:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I slap her about 3 or 4 times in the face and then I tell her I love her. Then I tell her if she does it again it will hurt even more. Take that to the bank.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Just Kidding!!!!!
    idaspida

• It's important to validate their feelings. My son told me he hated me. I told him I'm sorry he felt that way (validating his feelings) but that I loved him and hoped he'd help me work this out with him. Kids just want to be heard. So it's important we listen and not over react.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I understand you are upset with mommy, but it's not ok to (raise your voice, scream) at me.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My son will say I hate you or your are stupid to me when he get's mad. I tell him to sit & think about what he said. And I tell him that I love him. I tell him being upset with mommy is ok but he needs to say he's upset. He usually thinks about it then he will cry & say he's sorry & he loves me.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'm a single working mother & believe it the kid is 2 yrs old or 15 yrs. They will show temper tantrums without any reason. At times I find hard to ignore and do the scolding but if the matter is not serious and I feel it could be ignored then I find myself good in that as well. Anyhow the motive is the kid doing the right things.....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I'm with Admckenzie on this one. It's important to validate a child's feelings, even if you do encourage them to choose a less confrontational method of expression.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011