Breastfeeding question

I had a baby 5 months ago and I breastfeed. I have lost soooo much weight. I was a healthy 120 before I got pregnant and now I'm a sick looking 100lbs body walking around. I'm still breastfeeding and am planning on stopping. Thing is I love the bond with my son. Is there anything I can do to continue the breastfeeding but gain the weight?! Please help.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 9:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• are you eatihng enough, taking your prenatals, etc? You might want to see your gyno or regular doctor . If cafemom could do health assessments we could help, but if you say you look sickly and think it mat stem from BFing you need to see a doctor to make sure you are okay girl.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Eat healthy high fat foods. Avocado, switch to whole milk, olive oil on veggies, up your protein a bit, whole grains like brown rice and wheat bread, eat multiple small meals vs. a few large ones. Every time you nurse have a snack. Consider seeing a nutritionist to help you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• go to the doctor and have them run some tests on you(thyroid, celiacs, etc). This is not a reason to stop breastfeeding but it is something to get checked out.  In the mean time up your snacks, healthy fats, etc. 

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• ok thank you ladies. I will do my best. I just feel like everytime I breastfeed I lose more and more weight. I'm losing double the calories that I have.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• What are you eating? Add nuts and nut butters, avocados, coconut oil, lots of healthy foods packed with calories

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I suggest seeing a nutritionist, in addition to seeing your doctor and having a full workup done. It's not uncommon for women to have issues with their thyroid after having a baby. You might also get some good advice from an IBCLC, and La Leche League. I'd hate to see someone wean because of this, but truly, if you are not able to maintain a healthy weight after testing, diet advice, and so on, you may have no other choice. Are you keeping track of your daily calorie intake (even roughly)? Can you give me an idea of your diet? How many times a day do you eat? Vitamins?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• krysta ...i munch on food all day
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011