Why won't my twins socialise?

I have 2 sets of identical twins- my daughters are 13 and very sociable since they were toddlers. My boys are 4 and have been in preschool for 3 months but won't socialise. They only play with each other and refuse to talk to anybody else. Their teacher is concerned and told me I should keep them more seperate but I can't really do that. I'm a single mom and they share a room..

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have identical twin boys. Although they shared a bedroom while they were little, I did keep them in separate classes starting with preschool, pre-k and on up till the last couple of years of high school. This made them think for themselves in school and create friendships of their own with their own classmates. It also helped them develop their own personalities and individualism.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Separate them in school as much as possible. And it know that they are boys, not all boys are social.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• well maybe thats his personality give him some time and you would see what his able to do.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• can you put them in different classes at preschool? or can grandparent or aunt/uncle watch one for a day to give them the idea that they are 2 different people? there will be meltdowns though lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I suggest talking to them individually. Find out there different likes. Like maybe one likes the zoo, one likes museums. Then take them each individually for special days where it's just them. And don't limit it to just your boys either. By taking them each on a "mommy and me day" once in awhile, it helps them learn about themselves as separate people and that they don't have to be together constantly. They will learn that there are differences in their personalities and once they discover themselves as a separate person, they'll be able to show that person to other kids and make friends based on their interests that are unique to them.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011