Would you be okay knowing the cook at your favorite restaurant were HIV positive?

I'm watching What Would You Do and they just said that 51% of those polled stated they would be uncomfortable with their food being prepared by someone with HIV...

What about you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i would be uncomfortable
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would be uncomfortable. No offense against them, but what would happen if they had a cut on their hand and bled somewhere? Keeping in mind they didn't wear gloves WHILE preparing the food. Maybe if they wore gloves 100% of the time.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'd like to think I'd be ok with it. I would hope none of his bodily fluids would be in my food.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• As long as he's not openly bleeding into my food and then serving me said food I'm fine with it. And if he is openly bleeding into my food and then serving it to me the fact he's HIV positive has nothing to do with my disgust.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Proudmom, I don't know where you eat, but if you EVER see someone preparing food without gloves you need to contact management! I worked in restaurants for YEARS and never once did I work without gloves... It would have cost me my job!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I will be honest and say I would not return to the restaurant. It would scare me.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I think I would be okay with it. I have had enough HIV education to think that I know how it is transmitted and most people who are honest about their HIV status take the utmost precautions. Its those who have it and are not honest about it I would worry about it more. If I worried about all that stuff I would never eat anywhere but my house, b/c there is no telling what someone has that you don't know about.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• SabrinaM I have also worked in restaurants and we did not always had to wear gloves but we had very strict hand washing procedures. But back to the original question I would not have a problem because I know of the safety procedures used in most restaurants. My coworker came in the other day with a large open gash on his hand, he had a coworker help him cover it with gauze, than a bandage, than a glove.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I'm uncomfortable eating out anywhere anymore, yes, it would make me uncomfortable. But so does the chef that works at a prominent restaurant we used to frequent. I've seen him outside of work and he's disgustingly dirty. I don't go back anymore.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Not saying I ever saw anyone NOT wear gloves, was just saying in general.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2011