So ladie, I am new to this saving money game....what percentage is a good amount to set aside out of eac check?

in other words how much do you set aside, or what have you heard of being a common amount, percentage.???

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 10:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• 10% if you can.
    My grandfather always preached that you pay your tithing, then you pay yourself, and then everything else is for bills and whatever you may need.
    He was a self made millionaire with an 8th grade education. I've done it in my own life and it's a really good thing to do!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• 10% is common
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• well I'll pay myself and then the bills. Basically I am saving because I am transferring universities, the new university calls for a way higher tuition, which is probably going to be covered with grants, but I also have to move, pay books, and the higher cost of living. so I want to avoid student loans at all costs and I can save now so I might as well. I just put 20% of my last check in my savings. So I will try to stay with that for as long as possible. I'll let 10% be my min contribution, just to avoid unnecessary spending, which I will do if I make the money available.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2011