Cooking Disasters?

Mind you I might be 53 but, cooking is not my best quality. I thought I was making a egg custard pie but, it was a scrambled egg pie. It was awlful. Even, my BIL who will eat anything would eat it.LOL. I got the receipe online so, ya'll be careful w/ that. The receipe said Egg Custard but, it won't. So, the dogs are getting a treat tonite and if, they won't eat it I guess it goes in trash. Any cooking stories out there? I've got plenty more but, I don't have all nite to write.

pswiley

Asked by pswiley at 10:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I was trying to make chicken in eggs and rice and I was using the Nintendo DS to make it. It told me to remove it from the heat to mix the eggs. 6 eggs didn't look to be enough, so I added, but at the same time, the eggs were still runny instead of cooked. Cast iron stomach of a husband refused to eat it. Eggs weren't cooked in his mind so lesson learned.

My mom is the type of person when she learns how to make something, she must perfect it. When I was growing up, I remember eating Enchiladas. she mastered it eventually. What she would do was she'd make it for a whole month trying to master it. Once she mastered it...she'd move on to the next variation. So, one month was Chicken Enchiladas, the next month was Beef enchiladas, then Cheese Enchiladas. After a while, it was just normal to eat like that. I did grow up making perfect Enchiladas (for my family's standards) on the first try after her experiences lol.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 10:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• your eggs scrambled because you Heat was too hot and not stirred enough. Stirring helps to cool a mixture and evenly distribute the heat. Cook under lower heat or in a double boiler. Stir constantly. it also help to add a spoon full of the heated milk to the eggs to help to introduce the heat slowly then your eggs won't scramble or curdle.

baking

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I made sticky buns like cinnabon and the jelly roll pan's sides were NOT tall enough, well.....the sugar and pecans bubbled over the sides of the pan and the whole apartment filled with black smoke, but I refused to shut the oven off, seeing as I spent 4 hours making them. The fire department did show up after a neighbor thought I was burning the place down. They were damn good sticky buns though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• ROFL the first time I made gravy.... the cat wouldn't even eat it! I can tell you - I am a GREAT cook but that was right after I was married so I was only 19 - I never made the gravy at home and I thought one day I'd make some. I'd seen it done tons of times - yeah, didn't so much work out for me - rofl - it took me YEARS to be brave enough to try it again.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The first time i ever attempted gravy ,looked great smelled great tasted great and when i went to pour it from the skillett into a bowl,it gelled.i could have left it upside down for an hour and still nothing came out or fell ,laughed hard on that one!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 12:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was eight months pregnant with our first child, and I was making a chicken, potato and spinach casserole. I'd gotten everything all cut up and marinated and into the pan, when I had to run to the bathroom. When I came back to the kitchen, I saw our German Shepherd had come THROUGH the screen door and was standing ON the table, whisker-deep in my casserole! There were cut-up potatoes and wine marinade everywhere, all over the floor that I couldn't clean up because I was so huge. I sat down and cried and cried, then I called my mother and begged her to bring me a bucket of fried chicken.
    I laugh when I think about it now.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 3:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2011