Government Employee Unions: How would YOU answer this Question?

"Do you think government employees should be represented by labor unions that bargain for higher pay, benefits and pensions... or Do you think government employees should not be represented by labor unions?"

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the union is way past its day. Time was, there were real work place injustices. And I see no reason to stop collective bargaining completely, however, something needs to be done about evening out the balance of power. The unions are little more than mafia at this point.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I despise what unions have become. They are nothing more than a big business and look out for the guys at the top. I have seen to many union workers shit on by the big guys.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The first amendment guarantees the right to free assembly and association. All Americans deserve all constitutional rights, regardless if the work in the private or public sector.

Do not compare union bargaining tactics to free assembly. Free assembly does not mean mob rule assembly and coercion and intimidation to get one's way. What you see in Wisconsin is progressive leftists shouting hate slogans and comparing Walker to Hitler and threatening legislators homes and dragging students out of class...all done by union thugs urged on by Obama and his Organizing for America minions and the DNC. This is thuggery and not peaceful assembly to protest.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:30 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Collective barganing is a basic human right.................

Are you freaking kidding me? This the most asinine thing I have heard in quite some time.

sweet, I find it interesting you are FOR govt unions...haven't you been saying the legislators need to cut their pay and start paying for their own water???

I think most of todays unions need to go. They are holding taxpayers and employers hostage all while working behind the scenes to control the govt that continues to protect their rights and accept their campaign donations. There is a HUGE HUGE conflict of interest.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It is time for ALL of us to step up and make some contribution. I saw a sign in WI that said "tax the rich". So, these people don't see they can help make their state more stable? I had to give back 2% of my salary and back up a step. I have always had to contribute 6% to my retirement. As a state worker, I didn't like pinch in the beginning, but 2 years later.......I just want my job. If I have to back up a little, fine. Unions make their members act like it is up to everyone else to do the hard things, but don't mess with the union workers. That is a crock. We all have to do things that hurt a little. I have my job because I live in a 'right to work state' and I want that right. Unions ruin it for all of their workers. Plus, the kids have now missed 3 days of school because the teachers care more about themselves than the kids. Oh, did I mention.....I'm a teacher.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Bargaining? Is that what you call the aggressive, threatening manner that union reps like to put on? Hmmm. let me go see if I can find the youtube video of the union that wants to get in at my husband's work. It's truly mind boggling.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• THIS>>>  Answer buy YSK. "I think most of todays unions need to go. They are holding taxpayers and employers hostage all while working behind the scenes to control the govt that continues to protect their rights and accept their campaign donations. There is a HUGE HUGE conflict of interest."   

It sure is funny how these people are all about sharing the wealth, until they need to participate.  And why did the many private sector cadillac h/c plans get done away with but the union employees and the GVT employees get to keep their cadillac h/c plans and pensions?  Oh, that's right, many got waivers, wth?

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Every experience I've had personally with a union has been negative. To the extreme. "Collective" "bargaining" is one thing. At this point, most union's demands are unreasonable. So the union is holding the workplace accountable, but who is holding the union accountable?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Bargaining is a give and take process.

And unions should remember that. Too often they say "this is what we want and if you don't give it to us we'll go on strike." Or maybe they will just all call in sick. Where's the bargaining there?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd4UlVFZzc4&NR=1

My favorite part is how they show up WITHOUT an APPOINTMENT, invite themselves to a private meeting, refuse to stop photographing the security guard when he asks, and then the Democratic politicians start throwing their weight around.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2011