I have never had a goldfish..until today..how do i keep it clean?

how often do i change the water? it's not in an aquarium..they are just in a 1 gallon bowl..so yaa, how often, and how? i tried googling it, some people said i change allll the water..some said i only do 20% and use bottled water??!! right now theyre are just in tap water with some of the cleaner solution stuff..

i also read that the food isnt supposed to sink..but the pellots that the lady at the store told me to buy all sink to the bottom of the bowl as soon as they get put in the water, is that ok?  would the flakes be better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Pets

• I've had betas and what I would do is use the little container it came in, treat water and put it in there. Raise it bowl and treat it the water then just transfer the fish. Make sure the temperature of the water is just right. I never used any soaps or anything. Just hand raise and clean the gravel with it. Gold fish are a little more messy fishes (they poop more often) than betas so I think i would clean every third day or so, try not to over feed the fish. 

Have fun with them.=] 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Just be careful of the temp when you change it. It must be exactly the same as the temp they are in now. I killed one that way.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• when you change it take the fish out with watter they are already in (use a plastic bag like the do at stores) dump the water if there is lots of scum clean it out with dish soap use very little and make sure it is fully rinsed . when re filling it try and get the same temp water like mom pam said if there is an extream difrance it can put them into shock and they can die . but the water cleaner stuff in. put the bag in the water leav it for 30 min or so so that ther water in the bowl and the water in there bag slowly become the same temp if its off . then dump the fish back in that way there is less shock on the fish.
    as for the food most pelets dont float and depending on the fish the flakes are easer and cheaper and they will mostly float
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Don't try to pet them. I killed a whole tank like that when I was a kid because I had germs on my hands that got into the tank. When you clean the tank don't wash it in any soap or cleaner of any kind.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I always had two bowls, the one the fish were in and an extra. I would fill the extra with water and let it set over night and switch the fish to that one. Clean 1st bowl and when u r ready do the same thing again. you didnt say how big the fish are and how many so that would determine how often, also the bowl size. My gold fish are in an aquarium now and i have a syphon hose and that is how I clean the gravel. I take about 2/3's of the water out while syphoning and ad new water that sat over night to that. the purpose of over night is that it makes the water the exact same temp as what they are in. About 2-3 times a year I take the whole tank down to do a good cleaning. soap is ok as long as you rinse, rinse rinse! I worked in a pet shop and had to clean lots of tanks in my day. lol if u do a tank later on, make sure you have something to put the fish n with , yes, water that sat over night. when the tank is clean , fill,
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• decorate and let set overnight. lol u tired of hearing that? then put fishies back in. as for the pellets they do sink and gold fish are actually carp that eat ucky stuff. they will eat them, but like someone above said, flakes are cheaper and float to i would recommend them. Oh yes, don't forget to name the fish, it makes them happy. :)
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i meant , float so i would recommend, not to
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2011