Transition from stay at home to working mom

Just wanted to see how other moms dealt with going back to work after being a sahm? How do you deal with the guilt? How do the kids transition from being at home to being in daycare? Any experience with this is appreciated.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hugs! Kids get their cues from you. If you are OK then they will be OK. For me it was a little different because I went from being a stay at home mom with a daycare to bringing them with into a commercial daycare that I worked at. I truely feel that it is the quality time that you share that makes the difference. You will all be fine. It is great for kids when they go to a good daycare. It becomes a second home for them. It can be an experience that will benefit you all. I agree with the above poster. Ask around and get a well reputed daycare.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I've done it with all 3 of my children. I stayed home for the first 2 years, then went back to work. Luckily with the first two, my mom was able to watch them so the transition was easier. With my youngest it's been harder honestly. You really need to make sure you're 110% comfortable with where you're leaving them and you're able to check on them whenever. Good luck.
    momandmore3

Answer by momandmore3 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• One of the hardest transitions for me. Just be strong and do not let your children see you struggle. If they do they will make you feel more guilty. There is no place I would rather be. However it this time in my life I have to work outside the home. Hugs to you.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 11:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I started back to work almost 2 weeks ago and they told me part time so I was thinking that it would be an easy transition for me and for the kids but I've been working 33 hours a week and looks the same next week. The kids are ok with it b/c they get to stay home with SO since he's out of work too and I get to come home at lunch. He's adjusting to providing all the care while I'm gone and he gets lots of appreciation when I'm home :) But I am fairing worst of all. I am exhausted and feel like I'm so behind on everything at home even though SO has been doing it. I dont know how to get my energy back. Hopefully it will come back once I get adjusted to this working routine.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 11:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I have never had a second of guilt about working. We have a home, retirement savings, and can send our daughter to college

Answer by rkoloms at 2:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011