Why can Michelle Duggar roller skate to music but her kids can't dance? her roller skating looked as sexual as ball room dancing for sure?

I watched Michelle Duggar roller skate and her whole body is moving and rhythmic and looked a lot more sexual than many types of dance. And what about ballet? They love music but not dance? It makes no sense to me.

ellenorepickles

Asked by ellenorepickles at 11:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that dance is art.  That's just my opinion though.  Those are her children, she can do whatever she likes.  I don't understand why they can't dance.  Have they stated the reasoning for it?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It's a religious thing, dance is frowned upon in certain religions, and the only music they listen to is gospel music made by members of their church, or fellow churches of the same belief. They don't listen to ball room dancing music, classical, and certainly not secular. They have explained multiple time their reasoning for not allowing dance. I don't remember all the specifics, it was a religious belief. I don't necessarily agree with it, but its not my family, so she can raise her children how she sees fit.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Why do you care? They are free to do what they want.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 10:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I really don't understand the obsession people seem to have with this family. So they have a lot of kids. Families used to that big all the time. My hubby's grandma had 13 brothers and sisters.

They are not all that fantastic or unusual or even interesting.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think we equate having a big family with curing all ills. when i look at some of the home videos they have and on the shows, how the children are so cooperative, clean, happy, and sincere, it seems that i ask why aren't more families blessed as this one. It appears to have been a miracle> honest how one woman can give birth that much is beyond understanding.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• if i rember correctly it was explained when the oldest kid was getting married......it had to do with danceing was some kind of sexualized thing that two married people should on be doing or gave men the wrong sexual ideas something like that......they have a website you might look it up and they have the answers to this questions on there i think
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think the question asked is more along the lines of why is she being so hypocritical (not about the rights she has to raise her children the way she wants to). If the roller skating moves seem to look as sexual as they claim dancing to be, I can understand the OPs point.

Sorry OP, I don't watch the show though, so I can't comment directly on that. But yeah if she does that, I agree. But then I think everybody should be allowed to dance. Someone needs to send the Duggars a copy of Footloose!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think the question asked is more along the lines of why is she being so hypocritical (not about the rights she has to raise her children the way she wants to).

Their religion states there are things a married couple can do that a single person can not. Like, for example, kissing, hugging, dancing, etc. They dance at weddings, but only the married couples. The children wouldn't participate. I'm not sure about roller skating, but their beliefs are all religious based, and therefore inherently married men and women can express in public towards each other much more "provocative" and "affectionate" moves. This is also why the oldest one now kisses his wife on national tv, and before wouldn't do more then hold her hand, and even that was nerve wrecking. Its not hypocritical, it's just their religious beliefs.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Who are you to question her parenting anyway? It's not for you to judge her..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 6:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• OMGosh, you are kidding right?? roller skating looks sexual?? you've got a screw loose.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011