School psychologist issue

My daughter has had a hard time since kinder with her school work. She just doesn't catch on as fast as the other kids. So I talked to the principal about it and her teacher. They said the school psychologist can help her. So I arranged for my daughter to meet with her about it. They talked and the psychologist emailed me saying she is concerned for Julia's well being and we need to talk. She noted she has a few free days next week to meet but if I cant meet then we can talk over the phone. So I replied back saying lets talk over the phone cuz I work every day. SHE REPORTED ME TO CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES for not complying.

I had to show the CPS guy the email so I wouldnt be in any further trouble.
I don't know my rights in this matter. Can anyone help?

Lorraine510

Asked by Lorraine510 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i don't know your rights as I don't live in the US . You are not the first person I have heard of who has had trouble with psychologists and my only experince with one was so bad I dropped him like a hot poatato - he was nuts . My advice is if you think that kind of help would be useful see if you can get a recommendation for a good psychiaririst and don't bother with the lesser qualified version.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree. Go around this one and get your own evaluation done. You can get a recommendation from your child's pediatrician for a good child psychologist. I would not release any records to the school, they will ask you to sign for that and you do not have to. And I would stick to a private psychologist at this time, based on that. That is terrible!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No, I dont prefer the school psychologist. I just want someone, anyone to help my daughter get thru her learning issues. The school recommended the psychologist. Who else can I see about that?
    Lorraine510

Comment by Lorraine510 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If you go through school services, then you would use their psychologist. But considering her knee jerk actions to you thus far, I would drop that and find my own, private psychologist and have a full evaluation done that way. A private child psychologist can give you the answers you are looking for, and probably do better with it than the school psychologist.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I never had good luck with my daughter schools so far. They all stink. I wish I could just home school her but I dont have that ability. Thank you for your help ladies!
    Lorraine510

Comment by Lorraine510 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Former teacher viewpoint: Something is NOT right here...Calling CPS? For a one time occasion?
    But I would have made the effort to meet in person...This goes so much better than a phone call...There is more of an excellent chance for a relationship to develop when you are there in the flesh.
    Please don't discount the idea of homeschooling..I am homeschooling my Down Syndrome child.I took over at age 17...I have had to adjust from being a regular classroom teacher...The advantage is this: I am getting to know her like never before...She is getting total one on one from me....She is also learning lifeskills at home and in public.The freedom is awesome...You don't have to confine yourselves only to paper and pencil, But there is responsibility. Mom has to have self-discipline...My child is just learning to talk (but understands Spanish and English perfectly). Please consider it...
    But if not, look into other ideas here. :)
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 6:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Thank you Veronica. It's funny cuz I was just looking at that online. Homeschooling or actually UNschooling. I hear it's legal here in TX. I'm a single mother and can't afford to give up my job though. If there was a place to take her to have this type of schooling done then I would jump at it. Otherwise I have to quit and I just can't afford to.
    Lorraine510

Comment by Lorraine510 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When the psychologist said she 'is concerned about her wellbeing". She was referring to the story my daughter told her. Mind you she is an insecure, attention seeker. She told the doctor she sees dead people in her room. That they try to hurt her. She had a scratch on her arm and claimed a dead boy did that to her. And when she is mean to her brother that the dead boy makes her do it.

I totally believe in ghosts and all that but my daughter has been telling stories like this since she was born. Recently I use to allow her to watch scary movies but I stopped due to her "story telling". She loved scary movies though. It's not like I forced her. But I stopped it. Her imagination got the better of her.
    Lorraine510

Comment by Lorraine510 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Now that you mention about seeing ghosts...One of my fellow teachers when I was teaching at he Catholic school said that one of her students had a visit from the devil himself at night. (I'm not sure how that conversation occurred, but the teacher was a Baptist). .I had this boy, also and knew his family well. They were devout Catholics...It seemed very much out of character...If I remember correctly, this same boy grew up to be an artist and is quite known for his paintings...They can be mystical in nature, but very religious...
    I'm not sure what to suggest now knowing about this.. I believe she must be real sensitive...But the fact that the dead boy "makes her do it" .that puts up a red flag in my mind..You were correct to take the scary movies away....Maybe she should be evaluated...but not by a school pychologist... I wish you luck in what you decide to do...I will be thinking of you both!!!!!
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 9:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I am going to say one more thing here...I am saying from a Roman Catholic Charsamatic persective. . I believe that if a child or adult is exposed to certain visual stimulation of the occult. or dark side of life (scary movies) ..these things have been given an open door to the mind. They implant themselves and become part of the psyche...And since she seems particularly sensitive..This is the result...
    Her behavior may just not be attention getting..As I said, removing the scary movies is good...Being exposed to the side of life that promotes joy, delight, hope, ...such as wholesome television, I believe is a move in the right direction...Also consider that circumstances around her may be causing her to say these things to get attention...
    Once again I will be hoping that things come out well for you and you find answers.
    VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 9:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2011