Another question about goldfish

i keep googling stuff about goldfish, and everything i find says that goldfish grow to be anywhere form 6-12" long!!! WHAAAAT!?!? since when does a lil 75 cent fish grow to be that big? when i was in school my best friend had a goldfish, and it NEVER grew!! and it lived for about 4-5 years!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I worked in a pet store and yes goldfish will grow that big but only if you keep putting them in bigger tanks. They typically stay small if you keep them in a small tank but if you put them in a pond or large tank they will grow bigger.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I have been wondering the same thing. I have had 3 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank for almost a year now and they have barely grew but on the other hand I was at my cousins a couple months ago and they bought some of those cheap gold fish at wal mart like we did and their 2 are HUGE. Now i am wondering if I am feeding them the wrong thing.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• it depends on the type of gold fish. The footlong ones are knwn as Koi fish and are often purchased for outdoor ponds or for water hazards on mini golf courses. A plain, carnival prize, gold fish will usually stay small. The ones with the air bag cheeks are bigger than that. Just like dogs, Gold fish come in different breeds and different breeds have their own different size averages.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011