My mother sucks!

My daughter is at the table having a snack and her spoon fell. My mother calls me from down stairs to get the spoon for her. Im sorry but that just about does it for me. She lives with me rent free, because she is out of work. She feels that I owe her something because she raised me and my sisters by herself. I think she is horrible what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• Thats def being lazy. As a grandmother you would think she would be happy to be with her grandkids and do things for them. Thats weird. I would confront her. Its not your fault she raised you and your sister alone. She made the choice to have kids and had to be prepared for anything. Just tell her that you are a mother now and since she is living rent free in YOUR home that she should appreciate and respect you. Is it temporary?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Dont let her get to you. She may just deep down be upset that she has to live with her daughter after doing it alone all those years. She may also be jealous that you have what she didnt. That however is not an excuse as a mom. She should def love and respect you regardless.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Did you have to help out when you lived with her? Then she should have to do the same! Even if it's not financially, she should be helping with chores and taking care of the kids!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Hmmm... she's out of work and has to live with you. Is the worst thing she's done is ask u to come down stairs to pick up a spoon? 1) she may be feeling down and depressed over not having a job (not lazy but depressed - depression can make u not want to move or do anything) 2) if this is the worst thing she's done... be a little more forgiving.. not trying to judge u... there were many days I thought my mother "sucked" and now looking back.. it was over stupid things... and I would give anything to have her back. Think of the alternative.. ur mother is in ur life.. enjoy it.. I wish I had mine back.
    Anonymous

• No she is lazy because I said something to her and she told me that she just got herself into a comfortable spot on the couch. "And she's already raised her children". Im stuck with her because my sisters don't want her and she gets better health care in my state.
    Anonymous

• Like I said.. if this is the worst thing she's done.. then this is a small thing. And as she said.. "she's already raised her children"... did she do a bad job... did she abuse you? did u go without food? did u go without clothing? If ur young... u probably don't get what I'm trying to say... appreciate ur mom... let the small stuff go... I wish I had.
    Anonymous

• As annoying as it sounds, she is your mother... but on the same note, you need to sit her down and tell her that you are a mother too and are trying to raise your OWN kids now, and that if she is going to stay, she needs to step up the the grandma plate and help out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Kick her out. That's pure laziness.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Wow kick her out??? What would you have done if she was not there and your DD dropped her spoon? You would have gotten it yourself because you are the mom. Now while I do agree that she needs to help out with doing basic things and should respect you and your house I also feel that she has done her time! So what she didn't pick up the spoon that is not her responsibility it is yours. Honestly I did not even have a mom when I was growing up and you are ready to get rid of your because of a spoon!
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I don't think this is something to kick her out for, but that is pretty extreme to make you come all the way downstairs for. I know that whenever there is more than two generations under one roof there will be problems. Both of you need to sit down and go over expectations from both sides. With my mom I had to write up a "contract" and we both signed it. It came in handy for those type of moments!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2008