I gave in and gave my baby a bottle...

I have been having trouble latching my newborn for a week and a half now (since birth). The doctors and lactation consultant told me that my baby's top lip frenulum is short and his mouth is on the small side. I have been pumping and syringe feeding. Also trying to put him to the breast and latch him correctly, but it is very difficult. Syringe feeding is pretty tough, if I don't go very slow and tilt his head he will spit out a lot of it. So I finally gave in and started giving a bottle with breast milk tonight. I felt so much relief. This past week and a half has been so hard. I am still hoping the doctor can clip his frenulum in the office. Because I am not going through with it if it has to be an operation. Has anyone else gone through something similar? If so, how did it go for you? Did you find it easy to keep up your supply with the pump? Any input is appreciated!!

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I did...I ended up giving all of my babies bottles....my milk dried up after pumping for 3 months....I could never get them to latch on, and I was frustrated and had no support....I felt like a failure for some reason, but all my children and loved, nurtured, and healthy, so I guess I did something right...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I had nursing problems too. I highly suggest getting a second opinion on what that dr said and also have someone come to your house and watch you try to nurse. Someine who has done it successfully like your mom or grandmother or a friend.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• dont worry its all new. if you have to pump for as long as you can if you cant get a good latch. any breast milk is better than none. get as much lactation support as you can get to help. just dont give up hope and dont get so fustrated if anything there is the pump and the bottle. with both my kids my milk supply dwindled at around 3 months with them nursing so its all in you body and how much you pump. GL
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Try to contact your local chapter of La Leche League for help with proper latching...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree with GoodyBrook. LLL can help you and they are free. www.llli.org to find a group near you.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2011