Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Should I ask about depression meds?

When I was a teen, I saw a phyciatrist, and she diagnosed me with depression. But as a teen, you think life is just horrible, until things DO get rough. Over the past year we've had financal problems, marriage problems, Ive gained a whole lotta weight (well, so it feels liek a whole lot at times.. Ive always been around 130, and now im at 170. So I feel huge) Also, my son is 2 1/2, and the terrible twos have definately hit. I was diagnosed with PCOS, & Ive been going through all kinds of tests & procedures to try to start my cycle (which I havent had for over 2 years.) & Ive also been feeling down, because I didnt finish school, I planned to start back after my son started pre-school. So, I feel very dependant on my husband. Anyways, A LOT has happened. And its not all the time, but most the time I feel soo down about anything. I cry a lot. Over stupid stuff, like commercials. I dont feel as bad as I have been in the past, its starting to get better, But I still feel a lot worse than I did as a teen. Should I talk to a doctor? What kind of doctor, and we dont have money. Thats my main concern, would medical card pay for it all? Any advice would be appreciated

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Health

Answers (5)
  • I think you should talk to a doctor. But do keep in mind there are two different kinds of depression. Chemical and situational. Chemical is where people need and should be on meds at all time, situational usually clears up when the situation clears up... This make sense?

    Not sure what you mean by medical card, but you should check with your insurance provider and see what they tell you. They'd be the best people to ask. =)


    Answer by Razelda at 12:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • I think if you talk to your regular doctor your medical card should pay for it ,and he could point you to someone that can help ,Thats what I did and he was very helpful.


    Answer by Stormy7 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • I would talk to a psychologist. Just having someone there to talk to besides your normal social circle really seemed to help me. It sounds like it may be situational depression, as you've gone this far without meds lately, and you're reaching out again. Meds just didn't work with me, and I tried alot of different ones. If you look on the internet for Christian Services, (they didn't discuss religion with me), they are non-profit and are normally cheap, if not free. They really put helped me get out of my rut. Good luck!

    Answer by elenalee at 10:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • You need to talk to a Psychologist or Psychiatrist. Sounds like you may be depressed again. Good luck hun!

    Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 2:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • Ask you doctor for a referral to a therapist

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.