Does insurance cover IVF? adult content

We have Anthem insurance, and live in Ohio. I have PCOS, and I don't have periods but once or twice a year. BC, or any other meds havent halped for years, Ive been trying different ways to start my cycle. Nothing works, and we've realized if we're going to have another baby, it's gonna have to be by IVF. Has anyone ever used unsurane to cover IVF? How much does it cover, and what exactly does it cover? If I call and ask the insurance company, can they tell me, or would I have to go through the doc with these ?s.. Any info would help :) Ty

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• you need to call and check. everyone has different coverage, well im sure some ppl will have the exact same plan as you but doubt you want to try and match it up. In general, no. IVF is very much elective, most elective procedures are not covered.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• IVF is almost NEVER covered by insurance (not even partially) unless you specifically take out an infertility plan which are VERY expensive!

Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• depends on the insurance... Call and check.. sometimes they cover some of the meds which can be a BIG help...
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• depends on the plan specifics. I would call and ask, they have a SPD that has the list of everything that is covered and how much of it should be covered. I know some plans started excluding it b/c of the cost involved, especially self funded plans. (I work in insurance)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It's up to the employer whether they include fertility benefits or not. We had Anthem last year and it was a covered benefit but only because my husband's employer made it a covered benefit. IVF and all testing is covered at 80% up to $15,000. I know that Intel covers it on some of their plans but I really don't know about any other company besides my husband's employer.

You can Google Fertility Coverage/Employers to see which companies cover it.

I wish you the best of luck.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 1:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It depends on the insurance and the state. Some state (13 last I checked) has something in the law about what has to be covered. Even if an insurance company doesn't cover in one state, if they offer coverage in one of the 13, then they have to cover what the laws states.

You should call your insurance company and talk with them.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The Dr's office could tell you but most insurance don't.
    My insurance covered the US, meds, and all the labs but not the actual procedure.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2011