Help! My 4 month old will not nap except when nursing in my arms or outside in the stroller and now it's very cold! does anyone have any amazing tips for getting infants to fall asleep on their own (swings and bouncers have not worked ).

Thanks so much!

carolyn

mamac710

Asked by mamac710 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try singing to them..
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• or putting cartoons on for them that worked for mine
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Music some kinda back ground noise and a binky!!!! Switch from BFing to a binky.... then slid away. I started by pillowing my son in with pillows and shirts that smelled like me and DH. I put the shirts on the pillows. As he fell asleep I would put DH pillow on the other side of him. Put the binky in his mouth. then slide away sliding my Mama pillow in my place. Have music playing. It helped with my kids if the music repeated and was semi low. This has worked perfect for me. If there is anything else I can do feel free to write me.
    Noahs-Mom

Answer by Noahs-Mom at 6:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• You may have to hear the baby cry for about 10 to 20 minutes, but really, they need to learn to go to sleep on their own. They will throw tantrums even that young. You know that because they stop crying when you pick them up and rock them. You just gave the baby what it wanted. They are not being devious...that is just the only way they know how to get what they want. It's hard when you first start letting them cry it out, but it doesn't last forever. It hurts you way more than it hurts them. If you want it to stop, then you have to change YOUR behavior first. Then the baby will fall in line behind you. It will be a rough transition though. Sorry.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 6:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008