Just turned one... should I be worried?

My son just turned one in January and for the most part he is a pretty good kiddo just a strong outgoing personality lol. I had a question tho and it may sound strange to be asking cause he just turned one and all but he has a MAJOR tood like i have never seen. He likes to be loud whether he be sad or mad he likes to be loud when he is talking to anyone. My husband and I are not loud people by any means so i have no idea where he picked up this habit. Also he is not fully walking yet will only take a few steps here and there, i have seen him walk from one room to another just fine but once he catches someone watching he drops and crawls because he knows he can get where ever he is going much faster that way. But I cant even take him in the grocery store much because he refuses to sit in the cart witch sucks because he is 27 pounds and when he wants out he wants to crawl on the store floor witch is not going to happen and he starts kicking and screaming bloody murder because he wants me to let him down but i dont give in because the floors are gross... It would be way different if he was walking then he could hold mommies hand but he refuses and wants to crawl... Is this normal behavior for a child who just turned one or is there something i should be doing differently.. Tips, suggestions anything will be very much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow ur looking to be one of those parents whose kids act psychotic in the candy aisle huh? jk..well...

have you tried not giving him attention when he is flopping all over the place, well when he does it home, lke simply allowing him to flop about instead of picking him up. he'll tire himself out pretty easily if you just allow him to flop around. And he'll get irritated that that method ismt getting him anywhere and he might chill out or try something out/
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It is definitely not uncommon for a new walker to go back and forth between walking and crawling, especially if he knows he can reach his destination faster by crawling. He's just being a typical baby as far as the other things you posted. I've experienced all of that with mine and other's kids. They grow out of it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Nothing wrong, u just have a VERY determined and independent little boy. Just wait until he turns 2!!!! If u think u have it bad now! As for the store outtings, IDK. When he starts walking alot better, get those little harness/leash whatever so at least u can keep in check. Thats what I had to do with my dd. She had to walk when we went shopping cause it was new and discovered she can go faster when she realized she could run.She started to be like your boy when she turned 2.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Completely normal all three of my kids did it> LOL! It's frustrating but one day it will gert better. Set your boundries though and don't back down or he will use it against you. Kids are ridiculous smart, they can trick us and we won't even know it.
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 1:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My son was like that too, he didn't actually start walking until he was about 15 months. But I agree with DomoniqueWS, when he is doing that at home ignore him, its not as much fun for them if no one is paying attention. And the leash is a good idea for the store, my kids have learned that the fastest way to get left at home next time is to throw a fit in the store.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2011