How much water a day should baby drink after introducing solids?

My son is 6 1/2 months old and just started solids. I was told by our pediatrician to also give him water. He didn't say how much a day, but everywhere I read said around 4 oz. That seems like a lot to me and I'm aware of water intoxication, but I'm also aware that not enough water is hard on the kidneys. He doesn't like water at all. Any advice would be great.

rpetullo

Asked by rpetullo at 1:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None. I was told to not give water until 1 year old by our pediatrician but our DD was also on formula.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was told a baby on solids could have up to 4 oz a day, ut that it wasn't necessary as long as she was still drinking breastmilk. There's quite a lot of water in baby food and breastmilk. If she's having a hrd time drinking it I wouldn't really worry. You could try putting it in a sippy and see if she will try it that way.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• sorry I meant he
    SweetLoveofMine

• i'm voting you down sweetlove because you fail to say formula. meaning you are a bf nazi
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Why are breast feeding advocates compared to those who murdered 13,000,000 people????

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• We introduced a sippy cup with water at around nine months

Answer by rkoloms at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• my baby is 6 months old and he jus started solid foods 2 and his doctor gave me a booklet and it says to give a 6 to 7 month baby 2oz of water everyday or 2oz of juice mixed with 2 oz of water = 4oz everyday and when hez 8 to 9 months he can drink 4oz of water in hiz sippy cup and 10 to 11 he can drink normal juice and when hes 1 he can start whole milk.
    iLvUMyBAbYB0yJr

Answer by iLvUMyBAbYB0yJr at 6:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No more than 4 oz per day. You don't want them to fill up on water and drink less breastmilk or formula. But if they don't drink the water, it's no big deal. Breastmilk and formula will keep them hydrated. Just keep in mind that solids are to be fed AFTER nursing or giving a bottle until a year old. We used a straw cup but it took my daughter a month or two to really figure it out. That was a straw cup that is supposedly leak proof, so it was a bit harder to drink from than a regular straw.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Thanks everyone! Your answers helped a lot.
    rpetullo

Comment by rpetullo (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2011