Time to open gifts.

I have noticed some parents won't let their kids open birthday gifts until after all the guests have left. I think this can be rude and seems selfish. I know some people completely agree. I love to see the joyous expression on a child's face when they open their gifts though. Tell me your thoughts and preferences.

BellaKristy

Asked by BellaKristy at 1:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I see both sides of it. Its fun to watch a child open the gift you bought but also on the parent's point of view they may be thinking that jr. needs to open the gifts once everyone has left so that 1. There wont be any friends wanting to stay over to play with the toys and 2. If jr. got something he didn't like and shows disinterest and 3. If some ppl didn't have the $ to buy a gift they may feel bad watching other's presents opened. 4. With all the party decorations around, jr's mom may not want additional mess to clean up with so many ppl in the house.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If the party is at a Chuck Es or bouncy, the kids are just not interested in spending time watching gift opening. But I heard one grandmother say that they thought the gifts were opened because the parents were going to return them. I do not think so.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If the party is in the home, yes I think they should open the gifts there. If the party is somewhere else with time constraints, then I think it is acceptable to bring the gifts home to be opened. When I've had my kid's birthdays outside of my home I've extended an invitation to everyone at the party to come back to my house for the gift opening if they wanted to. Some came and some went home.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If i was invited to a birthday party or when i have one for my kids i aways like them to open them. Alot of people like to see if the kid likes it and its part of being a part of the celebration.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I like to see gifts I buy, OPENED by the people I buy them for. I could not imagine just bringing the gifts home after the party. My DD loves opening gifts in front of everyone. I agree OP, it is rude.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• when having a birthday party my boys open the gifts the guests bring while the guests are still here that is just tacky waiting till they leave
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011