Does the nickname have to go with the name?

i'm due in a little over a month and we're leaning towards the name Amity Rose. i don't like calling kids by the middle name because it makes the first name pointless. since there aren't any nicknames for Amity, what if we called her Jette sometimes? would it be cute or stupid? and if you don't like it, what do you suggest?

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 1:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Baby Names

• my grandmothers given name was jerry louise and her whole life she was called patsy..she said if i do one thing for my baby it would be call them something associate with their name cuz otherwise it gets confusing however with that being said if you wanna call her jette then go ahead i think its cute
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i dont think a nickname has to go with the name you have been giving. A name is a name and thats it.
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 1:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Personally I wouldn't...just cause sounds weird to me. Like name your child samantha and cal l her annie.makes no sense
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think it's cool :-).
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think this is your baby and you can cal your baby anything you want. My son is Robert Leroy Walker Jr.. My husband goes by Robbie and he said we were calling our son Rowdy and he is 7 now and that is what everyone calls him and everyone loves it including him. I think Jette is beautiful. It's about what you are happy with though!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 1:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Jette makes me think of a boy, so I wouldn't think she's a girl at first if I heard someone calling her that.

My daughter's name is Scarlett and we call her Abby because her middle name is Abigail. It's your child, you can call her what you want, whether it relates to her name or not.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No, it doesn't. Call her whatever you want. =] And by the way..I like it!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think it's fine. My daughter's name is Adison but we call her Loula. She knows Loula is just a nickname.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• She is your daughter, call her what you like. Nicknames, usually relate to the names, but don't have to. If that is what you want to call her, go with it. I kind of like it.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 4:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My uncle's name is James Robert. He goes by Tom. If Jette works for you, I say go for it.

You could always use Amy as a nickname. Amity means "friendship", and Amy means "love", so I'd say they both come from the same root word.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2011