How can I get my 2 year old back on schedule?

He use to get up around 8 take a nap at around 12, and got to bed at 8 but while I was in the hospital having my other son my mother had him and well she didn't keep to the schedule and just when I started to get him back on track my brother in-law died and we ended up staying at my mother in-laws for a week he was definitely off  schedule there then 2 days after coming how my newborn was hospitalized for 2 weeks with rsv so still not on schedule. Now we are home and things are starting to calm down but he is now use to the way things have been going and doesn't want to take a nap unless he crashes around 5 and then doesn't want to go to bed until around 11 or later and it is killing me. He still wakes up at normal time though and with this and a newborn who is barely sleeping trough the night I am extremely sleep deprived and want to get things back on track.

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a tough thing to get a child back on track. The best advice is to just hang in there. Have you tried laying down with him at nap time and reading? It's easier said than done with a baby but thats what worked when my kids were younger. When my daughter was born we all got thrown off track and it took months to get back on track completely!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 2:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I recently got my kids on a good schedule, and I understand how frustraiting it is to get the schedule back. What I had to do with my kids in September is get them ready for bed with a bath with the calming bubble bath and shampoo, the stuff in the purple bottle with lavander in it. Lavander is very calming and relaxing in the bath, and the lavander baby lotion goes the extra mile right after a bath at night because you are giving him a little massage at the same time with the lotion so he relaxes even more before bed. With my 2 kids it took about 2 weeks to get them on a good schedule with me, and they would have little room to fight me on it. Good luck with it, and hang in there. Take a nap when they both take a nap if possible.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 2:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Have a quiet time when the nap time used to be.........right after lunch, maybe? He may or may not sleep but it is a quiet time. Even if it is playing quietly with you nearby. My kids gave up their naps at age 2 so you may not be able to regain the naps. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2011