Gaming kids!

How many mom's feel like a game console or hand held babysits their kids? Even though I try to regulate time spend on games, educational or not, it still seems as though they are an ever present thing in my house. My son is sneaky and he will get off the PSP and when I forget about it be on the computer LOL. My little Jedi mind ninja! Any one else with this problem and any suggestions? Or is it ok that he likes the games. He is still very active , but when he's not outside he wants to be playing a game! It just seems mind rotting!

BellaKristy

Asked by BellaKristy at 2:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is both mind rotting and obsessive but also so important to their development. It is part development. It just needs moderating.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• ask yourself a few questions 1. Is my child doing well in school , average student or above? 2. Is my Childs social skills developed to his appropriate age group? 3. Is my childs speech , holding conversations , and understanding developing as his peers? And lastly the most important in my opinion , does he throw fits when you make him stop? If your child is developing normal and you see no signs of any mental or social issues I think your current time allowence is just right. I have a nephew that is best friends with my son and they are 1 year apart . Nephew 8 and my son is 7 . My son plays games and psp , computer the whole nine yards but he is not allowed to be a couch patato.... And when I feel he has played enough i tell him it's time to use his imagination and He is above average so I see no harm in games. My nephew is very behind, not social at all, his parents let him play as long as he likes. It's the babysitter.
    cannotforget

Answer by cannotforget at 9:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My kids are total gamers, but then again the whole family is, so how could they not be? They are 5 and 7 years old, and mostly play PS3, Wii and Xbox, but I would like to get them a new computer so they can do computer games as well (currently the computers we have crash anytime we try to play games). It's how they like to spend their free time, but it doesn't consume their lives, so I see no problem with it. They have been gamers for as long as their little hands could hold the controller.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• my son has the wii and wants the dsi but can't seem to bring myself to spend even more money on gaming when all he is going to do is sit around and play it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011