How did you get enough sleep and not be cranky when you were in the first few months after having a newborn?

I'm just curious as to how everyone else has handled this. I've had 2 kids and I know they say "sleep when the baby sleeps" but they also eat every 2-3 hours and and that goes on 24/7. Then you have to worry about keeping your milk supply up and not miss a nursing session and take a shower and eat...and if you have another child then you're really hurting for sleep.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• i only have one but honestly...co sleeping was amazing for us.. for the first few weeks she was in a bassinet next to the bed. After that, I could just nurse her and fall back asleep...it worked perfectly for us. I know I'll get plenty of thumbs down for that...lol!!...but it's what worked for us...I never felt tired. I am more tired now and she's 2 1/2 :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would always try to take a nap when my Son would nap. He was my first born. It all changed when I had my Daughter. I was happy if they were both sleeping at the same time. I would try to get some cleaning done when they'd be taking a nap. I would do my best to sleep as best as I could at night, because I believe you need to be well rested to produce milk.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I"m inclined to believe that you don't, only because I haven't. We have 3, ages 7, 2 and 1 month, between getting the 7 year old off to school and picking her up, baton practices, taking care of the newborn every 3 hours and trying to pay attention to the 2 year old, plus get housework done....I don't feel like I'll ever sleep again! When you have more than one, I don't think there's a such thing as sleeping when the baby sleeps :(
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 4:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• In addition to what these ladies said, utilize your husband and other folks that love you. Let them take your older child for a couple of hours while you and Baby sleep. Remember that you and DH don't always have to sleep at the same time-he can take the kids so you can nap for an hour or two. Just nurse immediately before, have pumped milk just in case, then kick them out! I realize this can't be done daily, but once a week it might be nice. Hang in there, mama, we're all dying for more sleep! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• As soon as that older child goes to sleep, naps or at night. You go lay down and try to sleep to. Forget the house work. Do the basics around the house,, kitchen, laundry, that's it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I co-slept for the first 8 months with both of my boys. That helped alot. I would also go to sleep early and my husband would stay up and take the first feeding (I would pump a bottle before going to sleep) so when it was time for the 2nd feeding I already had gotten 6 hrs of sleep.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i co-slept also.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• well for the first month it was hard. i'd wake up every three hours with her then put her back to bed. finally at about 5 weeks she started sleeping through the night. the first couple nights were about 7 hours and then it went up to 9-11 and has been that way ever since. she'll be 7 months on friday. luckily i only had to deal with not sleeping for a month
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• As far as I know, you don't, and it sucks.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Its really hard to get enough sleep after you have a baby. Its even hard to sleep when they sleep if you have other kids. But my husband usually helps out and stays home with me for a few days before returning to work. so I sleep as much as I can.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011