How do you decide?

Growing up, I remember wanting to be a teacher more than anything. I thought they hung the moon. I loved my teachers. When I was about 12, my life changed in very traumatic ways. I changed my career goals based on those experiences. My new goal was to go into law. I either wanted to be catching the bad guys (like a cop or FBI agent) or I wanted to be prosecuting them. After all these years, I finally get to go to school again (yay!) and I'm trying to decide what to do with my life. As I've taken some classes I've learned that I'm REALLY good at Psychology and Criminology. However, I LOVE art and writing. So...how do you decide what to do?

ShaunnaMichelle

Asked by ShaunnaMichelle at 4:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• See what the job prospects are in different fields by checking out the occupational handbook webite. (Google it). There are many things people like and one can be a career and the others will be hobbies. There is no reason you can not pursue art and writing as hobbies if you decide on a career in criminology, and vice versa. Many writers have had other careers along with their writing. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You have to pick one and go with it. There are so many factors to take in, and once you analyze the situation completely and get a very good idea of where your life is headed, the choice should become pretty clear.

Psychology - Can you really handle going to school for 8 years?
    Criminology - What would your family do if you took this route and didn't work 9-5?
    Art and Writing - Would you become a published author, sell your work, or is it just a side thing?

If you're not sure what you want to do right now, your best bet is to take some basics and look into exactly what is required to do each career field as well.
    Only you can figure out what is right for you.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• (cont) Figure out what you're passionate about, and what you can really make a living doing. How much school can you afford to attend? Student loans add up real fast. Weigh all this against what type of life you'd have with these jobs, what the field is like with this economy (because yes, we'll recover, but it'll happen again), and how it will impact your family. Good luck! Be happy!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would pick based on which thing was most interesting to you. For instance, even if you're excellent at psychology, if you're not interested in it you could end up with a career that you dislike for the rest of your working life. On the flip side though, if you love art, but you are not good enough at it to make money...don't waste the money taking that degree.
    I think that the more interested you are in the subject, the more likely you are to find ways to make that work for you in a job. If you love psycholoogy but don't want to have a PHD in psychology, and yet you do want to do something in psychology, you may end up finding a job at a school as a school counselor. If you love art, perhaps you will get connections in a city to do some city art...who knows. Good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• For me, it took years of floundering to find direction. I love music and singing and writing and languages and so many things. I also love nursing and delivering babies. I had to look at job opportunities, and try some things out to see what really works for me. Arts are so hard to make a living at. It can be done, though. I thought about international business, because I love languages and travel and other cultures, but I didn't know what I wanted to do with that, and so many people were getting business degrees. The market is now saturated with people with business degrees, so I'm glad I didn't do that. Then I went into the military, where I was a corpsman (basically doing everything a doctor does), and I got some awesome experience that reminded me how much I love medicine and helping people. I'm currently studying to be a certified nurse midwife. I love this career, and I can make a living doing it. (cont)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You should choose based the the best career path for you. Have informational interviews with people who have careers that you aspire to. Educate yourself on the job market for those positions.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would pick bassed on which one made the most money and which one you could find a job in after school is done.

Answer by louise2 at 5:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would look at job opportunities, at the skills and strengths required for each major, and at the effects it would have on my life and my family. I'm a visual person, so I would make a list of these things, then the pros and cons for each job related to Criminology, Psychology, and Art and Writing. I think that would give you the best idea of the best choice for you and your situation.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Coose both, just make 1 your career and the other your hobby. Then you don't have to give up either. You don't have to have a degree for writing and art if it's a past time(and that could always turn into something more later)
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I havent decided!!! Thats why I havent went back to school yet!
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2011